231 replies to this topic

#1 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

Benevolent, All-Seeing Eye

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts
  • Nickname:Mara

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:17 AM

Are you a Cindy fan? Love her? Wanna wring her neck? Here's the place to swap opinions on the show's own girl with an attitude, Cindy Vortex. Get typing!

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#2 NekoGirl

NekoGirl

He's BACK & better than ever!! ^-^

• Senior Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:44 AM

Are you a Cindy fan? Love her? Wanna wring her neck? Here's the place to swap opinions on the show's own girl with an attitude, Cindy Vortex. Get typing!

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

Ehh, it just depends on what she's doing & how she's acting in episodes. ^^"

As a character by herself? Awesome! I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a female character that well rounded in personality before on any TV show, & she'd certainly make a great friend & all, just.. her constantly picking on Jimmy/being paired up with him in fanfics have made her "a not too likable, but "OK" character" in my eyes.

My view of Cindy goes back & forth at times, by herself, she's possibly one of the best characters on the show, & she's got a great friendship with Libby, but that rivalry/secret crush with Jimmy is what keeps me from totally liking her.. :unsure:

For one, she's constantly teasing Jimmy & doing what she can to keep him from having much, if any, "great moments" in his current life, although his life IS fairly good, she's the majority of Jimmy's problems in the first season, & although she hasn't been picking on him as much lately, she still has to make sure that crush is kept secret. Hasn't she ever heard of the old saying, "honesty is the best policy"?

My opinion? Apparently not. Otherwise they'd have hooked up sometie in season 2.

But all Jimmy-related things aside, I DO like Cindy a lot, it's just that she has that tendancy to tick me off occasionally, but she is alright though. :unsure: ;)

#3 clana33

clana33

Rock on, JN lovers. Rock on.

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:55 AM

Cindy Vortex really puts the kick into this show! When she's not making funny remarks and beating up random boys, she is just plain awesome! I've always found her funny, and I laugh in every episode because of her. She has her mushy love moments with Jimmy ( which I like and sometimes dislike), and her cruel moments. I usually like both! That's why she's my favorite character! :P

#4 NekoGirl

NekoGirl

• Senior Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

Only thing that keeps her from being my fave female character is her deal with Jimmy, (on both cases) but other than that, she's downright awesome! :)

#5 ~Ally

~Ally

ohemgee:they tango.

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

I think Cindy is definitely an awesome character. One of my favorites on the show. (I find it hard to pick faves though, since they're all so different.) Anyway, this is sort of a random question, but what do people think about her family life? I think it's all somewhat distant. From what I've interpreted, it seems her mom doesn't really understand who her daughter is, you know what I mean? It seems like she wants her to be more girly. Maybe that's just my opinion.

#6 NekoGirl

NekoGirl

• Senior Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

Hmm, ya'know, I have thought about that myself, but not recently.

I dunno why, but I like to think that Sasha (that's the name shown on wikipedia.com as Cindy's mother) wants her to strive effortlessly in all competitive things, be a tad bit more girly, though I seem to get the impression Sasha would rather have her daughter not keep a love life, at least not yet.

If so, I'd imangine Sasha feels as though she may not be ready to help Cindy handle those emotions just yet, but she'd also rather let her daughter focuse on a more serious relationship once Cindy becomes a teenager, like 13 - 15 years old, but at the same time, not let it take over her life.

I believe that might be why Sasha seems to have a great disliking for Jimmy & his family, she might not know the whole story, but Sasha can probably sense a little bit of something between them (I'm regarding the official show, but I still support J/B), & I'd imangine she might be a little more comfortable with Cindy dating Nick in her teen years, though I'm not too sure about that.

Sasha might be turned off by his "punk-cool kid" attitude & not want her daughter to be with him, or anybody, at least not right now. Perhaps she might want to see what road Nick takes in his teen years before she thinks twice about Jimmy.

She might not like either boy for all we know. & she obviously seems to have something against Judy, who knows? Maybe those two were engaged with a love triangle/battle for Hugh or or Mr. Vortex? Like Cindy & Betty are for Jimmy? (up till Vanishing Act anyway) Least that's what it looks like.. ;)

---------------

& Cindy's father doesn't seem to be home too often, but he definitely looks like the typical, loving father. Just not being able to stay home very often due to his job, whatever that may be.

Mr. Vortex doesn't really seem to have anything against anybody, he looks like he's just trying to help raise his daughter when he can, & keep his family life together. (long hours at work might be hurting the couple's relationship you know, but that's just me ;))

Either way, Ally's probably right about Cindy's mom, & her dad seems to be the typical family man, least from how I look at it. ;)

#7 Lola Laflaunda

Lola Laflaunda

ROMIONE!!!! YEAH PEEPS!

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:06 AM

I like Cindy's attitude. She strong yet soft. PERFECT for Jimmy who loves her back.

#8 lauraloganvcangel

lauraloganvcangel

Jellybag

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:12 AM

In a strange way Cindy actually challenges Jimmy . . . which has proven to show him to be "better" at something. I think it's a pretty healthy rivalry . . . and I remember when I had crushes on boys. I was always mean/picking to/on them . . . So it might be that Cindy could make Jimmy more successful with her constant put downs. It makes him want to do better . . . who knows . . .

Her mother seems a little pushy . . . and I wont say anything about the father cause he's not really a often-shown character. I haven't seen a episode with him talking in it . . . yet . . .
I think Cindy's mum might think that Jimmy isn't good enough for her daughter. She seems pretty stuck-up. I don't know...

#9 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

Benevolent, All-Seeing Eye

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts
  • Nickname:Mara

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

I think Cindy's mum might think that Jimmy isn't good enough for her daughter. She seems pretty stuck-up. I don't know...

I am reluctant to agree with the whole "daddy-issue" portrayal of Cindy's behavior. Rather, I am inclined to believe that her issues lie with her mother. The few glimpses we've had of her on the show reveal her to be a haughty, critical, rather nasty sort of person. She clearly expects Cindy to be the star of EVERYTHING (look at "Out Darn Spotlight" where she announces that "her Cynthia is the STAR of the play" and then goes on to brag about the time she played all the dwarves in Snow White). It's no wonder Cindy feels such pressure to be the best at everything. Her mother expects nothing less.

In Stranded, Cindy is more afraid of her mother's reaction to her ditching school than being marooned on a deserted island. To me, this speaks volumes. Cindy's rude behavior towards Jimmy could also be related to her mother's view of the Neutrons. According to the imperious Mrs. Vortex, they have "the stench of loserdom". Clearly she does not approve of them, and I doubt she'd approve of her daughter having anything to do with Jimmy. Her mother obviously takes a rather "practical" approach to love...remember how in Love Potion 976/J Cindy is making Valentine's cards, and she says she must get approval from her Mother's lawyer before making any committment? I believe she then goes on to stamp the cards with the word "Pending".

Many fans (I among them), believe that Cindy's mom is a lawyer, which is where Cindy gets her almost obsessive need to draw up contracts for everything (Like in Win, Lose, and Kaboom, where she attempts to get Jimmy to sign the friendship contract rather than just agreeing to be nicer to each other).

Just because we don't see much of Mr. Vortex doesn't mean that he is a bad father. In "Make Room for Daddy-O", we see that her father is her karate instructor (or at least he trains with her). Regardless of whether or not he lives with Mrs. Vortex, he obviously does spend SOME time with his daughter.

So anyway, that's my speal. And I'm done now. ^_^

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

• Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

I believe that her issues lie with her mother. The few glimpses we've had of her on the show reveal her to be a haughty, critical, rather nasty sort of person. She clearly expects Cindy to be the star of EVERYTHING (look at "Out Darn Spotlight" where she announces that "her Cynthia is the STAR of the play" and then goes on to brag about the time she played all the dwarves in Snow White). It's no wonder Cindy feels such pressure to be the best at everything.

Ya know, if her mom was nice, do you think CINDY would be nice as well? Anyway, Cindy's mother doesn't want Cindy to send Valentines without them being check by her mom's lawyer, she doesn't want Cindy to be friends with Jimmy without signing a contract, ( just making a truce, like shaking hands would be a WHOLE lot easier) And she prevents her from having a relationship with ANY boy. ( Ecspecially Jimmy. ) Really, I don't think she truly understands anything about Cindy, and Cindy is a sometimes even sad, misunderstood person who..well..is get pressured everyday by her mother. Hopefully, if we save the show, we will be able to see Cindy's true family life.

#11 NekoGirl

NekoGirl

• Senior Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. If we got a 4th season, J/C or not, I'd still like to discover more about Cindy's official family life. Like how Keith & John have it, not like in fanfics or anything.

Anyways, seeing this topic, I definitely agree with Mara, Cindy does seem to be pressured by her mother over the "striving to be # 1 at everything" deal.

& yeah, Sasha DOES seem to have something against Jimmy's family, especially Judy for some reason. I think she's just annoyed by Hugh.

But in "Out, Darn Spotlight", Judy & Sasha seemed to have this little rivalry thing going, as if they were rivals during their childhoods like their children are.

Maybe these two competed over everything too, which would explain the heated rivalry between Jimmy & Cindy in season 1, & the other seasons as well.

I can say this much, if someone tried writing a fanfic about the parents' pasts & all, like how Judy & Hugh got together, etc. I'd definitely read it regardless of any pairings.

The "how Cosmo & Wanda got together" in FOP's fanfic section is a very popular topic to explore in fanfics, so why couldn't a few people try that with Hugh's & Judy's history? Or all of the Retroville parents for that matter.

I'd definitely read it if I found a story like that. Anyone know of anything like that over at FF.net or something? :)

#12 zeach36

zeach36

You've just wasted a couple seconds reading this. Way to go

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:09 PM

(Maybe these two competed over everything too, which would explain the heated rivalry between Jimmy & Cindy in season 1, & the other seasons as well.)

That might be a reason. If Judy, and Sasha were rivals back in thier younger, years, that would explain maybe 1/3 of jimmy and cindy's rivalry. The other 1/3, would be, Cindy's being pressured to be the best at everything by her mom, and, the last 1/3, would be that yelling at Jimmy, is Cindy's only defense of not blurting out she likes him.

#13 .:!Gwen!:.

.:!Gwen!:.

Listening to the song we used to sing...

• Members
  • 10,830 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:36 AM

I don't really have a particular liking to Cindy. I mean COME ON!!!!!! Do you think she could handle her emotions just a wee bit better? Huh? Gosh, Jimmy goes goo goo after Betty and she has to cross her arms and make this face! I mean no disrespect to all Cindy fans out there but she needs to get in touch with her emotions and stop acting like a complete MORON!!!! If she REALLY loved Jimmy, she would pull a Phantom of the Opera on him and LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS TO DO. There's other people out there than you, Cindy.

With all due respect,

#14 lauraloganvcangel

lauraloganvcangel

Jellybag

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:31 AM

Do you think she could handle her emotions just a wee bit better? Huh? Gosh, Jimmy goes goo goo after Betty and she has to cross her arms and make this face! I mean no disrespect to all Cindy fans out there but she needs to get in touch with her emotions and stop acting like a complete MORON!!!! If she REALLY loved Jimmy, she would pull a Phantom of the Opera on him and LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS TO DO.

Well, she is only supposed to be like, 10 or something, right?
Her emotions will more than likely get worse . . . poor girl . . .

#15 clana33

clana33

Rock on, JN lovers. Rock on.

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:29 PM

It's true. If she's this moody now, think about when she enters High school! She'll probably end up alone beating boys up. I feel pretty bad for her -_- ...........Least it's not me! :D

#16 cybercassie

cybercassie

I'm no stranger to heartbreak.

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

It's true. If she's this moody now, think about when she enters High school! She'll probably end up alone beating boys up. I feel pretty bad for her -_- ...........Least it's not me! :D

Just imagine what she'd be like PMSing! :o

Personally, I have Cindy as second favorite (always second... poor girl), mostly because of fanfics and stuff depicting her so atrociously. In the show, her character is pretty awesome, considering how she's pretty much a child prodigy with a mother that constantly pushes her beyond her limits, who still makes room for her friends on the side.

As for her family life, I would say that she's probably abused at home. Maybe not physically, but all her anger that is released in Jimmy's direction can't be all from "covering up her feelings." Besides, so little is known about her family it's actually belivable. I'm sure her mother overly berates her on constantly being second place every day.

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

cindy is what brings the show to life !!
without her, i wouldnt really watch the show. i mean think about it.

her and jimmy's LOVE/HATE relationsip thingy they got going on, is what keeps people in suspense, and keeping the show more alive. i mean, you never know whats really gonna happen next between the two of them .

im glad cindys in the show or else itd be boring .
i know her sudden outbursts of emotion are kinda annoying, and at times she can be a real b**** you know?

but deep down, she like jimmy . you can just tell . because shes always trying to get near him. and she has these sudden outburts of jealousy , and tending to flirt .

you can tell in the episode, "win, loose, kaboom !" when that april girl kisses jimmy, cindy is jealous.
she says that shes fighting with april because she doesnt like her, but you can totally tell what the real deal is.. shes jealous of april and jimmys relationship .

• Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

I don't really have a particular liking to Cindy. I mean COME ON!!!!!! Do you think she could handle her emotions just a wee bit better? Huh? Gosh, Jimmy goes goo goo after Betty and she has to cross her arms and make this face! I mean no disrespect to all Cindy fans out there but she needs to get in touch with her emotions and stop acting like a complete MORON!!!! If she REALLY loved Jimmy, she would pull a Phantom of the Opera on him and LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS TO DO. There's other people out there than you, Cindy.

With all due respect,

C'mon, give the girl a break! She just has a frustrating lifestyle..I mean YOU would be mad too if yourmother put so much a pressure on you, and your Valentines will have to be reviewed by the law, plus you have to sign a 3000 word contract just to make a truce with somebody. And your mother doesn't even want you to get too close to a boy, and you get mad, then..shall I go on? The only thing I'm saying is, Cindy REALLY is a nice girl, but she isn't treated very well..if she was nice, ( nicer than Betty ) EVERYBODY would get along with her more, and she and Jimmy wouldn't fight as much! But why cant Cindy say she's the girl genius, and Jimmy's the boy genius?!?! its as simple as that!

#19 dbaker

dbaker

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:55 PM

(inreply to the above)
When someone goes ga ga like that,I'd expect anyone to act like cindy. She's very "Type A" so you can forgive a little jealosy.

I don't agree with the statement that her mom overpushed her.
Jealosy can account for all or most of her bitterness.

#20 cybercassie

cybercassie

I'm no stranger to heartbreak.

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:11 AM

(inreply to the above)
When someone goes ga ga like that,I'd expect anyone to act like cindy. She's very "Type A" so you can forgive a little jealosy.

I don't agree with the statement that her mom overpushed her.
Jealosy can account for all or most of her bitterness.

Jealousy can only go so far. Is she really jealous in EVERY EPISODE, because she's bitter or at least angry in all of them. I can understand her jealousy in the rodeo ep, and WLK, and whenever Betty arrives on the scene, but when it's just the five of them, she doesn't really have that as an excuse. Nice idea, but it lacks substance and evidence.

Oh, and there's a U in jealousy. Spelling errors irk me; it's not personal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users