64 replies to this topic

#1 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

Benevolent, All-Seeing Eye

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts
  • Nickname:Mara

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Ever since I got into otome games, I feel like I've been spamming the "Last Video Game I Played" thread with GINORMOUS reviews that take up way more space than they have any right to occupy, especially since that topic was created as a place to name-drop rather than post in-depth analyses. I'm not going to stop writing said ginormous reviews, however, so I decided to create this topic and move my previous posts here. Read. Or don't. But I'll love you more if you do.

LIST OF GAMES

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#2 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

I'm currently playing Second Reproduction, a PC otome game about a warrior princess who is sent by her mother to infiltrate an enemy kingdom and assassinate their demonic king.

251237.jpg

The plot goes like this: you (the warrior princess) and your knight/bff/personal manslave manage to get inside the king's castle, but he easily defeats you with his crazy powers. He's all like, "trololol you guys are fun, you should totally stick around and try to assassinate me some more, 'cause attempts on my life give me the perfect opportunity to snark". The king puts a magical collar on your knight which will kill him if either he or you venture outside the demon kingdom - and voilà, you're both stuck. Over time, you begin to realize that the 'enemy kingdom' isn't filled with sadistic psycho killers like you've been taught your whole life. This revelation shakes you to your very core, and it leads both you and your knight to question your loyalty to your mother kingdom. Is your religion ("Heterodoxism") a load of BS? Are demons really evil? Are humans really evil? Who's to blame for the screwed-up state of the world? Who will side with whom in the coming war? And most importantly of all...WHEN IS SOMEONE FINALLY GONNA GET LAID IN THIS GODDAMN STORY? rageguyplz.png?1 winkrazz.gif

I'm still only on the first of the three routes (the game operates like a choose your own adventure story), but it's quite amusing and suspenseful so far.

EDIT: Finished the knight's route, and it was awesome - full of character development, interesting themes, witty camaraderie, genuine moments of tragedy, and a believable, subtle, and heartfelt romance - all in all, really fun to play.  :thumbsup:

Obviously I was excited to play the second route (the king's) because his initial interactions with the princess were sort of foe-yay-ish and full of snark just how I like it. But like 5 seconds in it got really gushy and melodramatic and lame.  :facepalm: The king and the warrior princess spontaneously started perving on each other with no build up, and it really threw me out of the story. Whereas the princess had been brash, romantically inept, and combat-minded in the knight's route (only crying at the death of friends and the loss of her religion), she was suddenly all weepy and swooney and horny in the king's route. It was like...um, what prompted this 180 degree shift in personality? And what was up with the narrative suddenly focusing on how 'hot' the king was, when the knight's route explored questions of honesty, guilt, and sacrifice, and delved into the princess's cruel back story and her relationship with her ruthless mother? And how come the knight's route ended with them both going into battle together and then the princess ruling her own kingdom, and the king's route ended with the princess being preggers and getting a family portrait painted?  :huh:

Sometimes I wonder about these otome games, you guys  :rolleyes: Were the two routes written by two entirely different groups of people? Honestly.

EDIT 2: Umm...WTF? So I guess the third route is the S&M date rape storyline???? Seriously what the hell is going on game

You've totally lost me here

It's a good thing I pirated this game because I swear

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#3 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

date rape? REALLY? 

SCARRED.

#4 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

SCARRED.

I know, right? Especially after the knight's route was so entertaining and awesome. How dare you disappoint me, game I didn't pay for! shakefist.gif

EDIT: I finished the route. It was mortifying imhorrifiedplz.png

EDIT 2: Woohoo, I beat the game! Finally got my knight to pony up and marry me too, freaking hard-to-get bastard. All in all, a worthwhile gaming experience. Never playing that third route again, though... *PTSD*

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#5 Elraine

Elraine

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

I'm currently playing Second Reproduction, a PC otome game about a warrior princess who is sent by her mother to infiltrate an enemy kingdom and assassinate their demonic king.

251237.jpg

The plot goes like this: you (the warrior princess) and your knight/bff/personal manslave manage to get inside the king's castle, but he easily defeats you with his crazy powers. He's all like, "trololol you guys are fun, you should totally stick around and try to assassinate me some more, 'cause attempts on my life give me the perfect opportunity to snark". The king puts a magical collar on your knight which will kill him if either he or you venture outside the demon kingdom - and voilà, you're both stuck. Over time, you begin to realize that the 'enemy kingdom' isn't filled with sadistic psycho killers like you've been taught your whole life. This revelation shakes you to your very core, and it leads both you and your knight to question your loyalty to your mother kingdom. Is your religion ("Heterodoxism") a load of BS? Are demons really evil? Are humans really evil? Who's to blame for the screwed-up state of the world? Who will side with whom in the coming war? And most importantly of all...WHEN IS SOMEONE FINALLY GONNA GET LAID IN THIS GODDAMN STORY? rageguyplz.png?1 winkrazz.gif

I'm still only on the first of the three routes (the game operates like a choose your own adventure story), but it's quite amusing and suspenseful so far.

EDIT: Finished the knight's route, and it was awesome - full of character development, interesting themes, witty camaraderie, genuine moments of tragedy, and a believable, subtle, and heartfelt romance - all in all, really fun to play.  :thumbsup:

Obviously I was excited to play the second route (the king's) because his initial interactions with the princess were sort of foe-yay-ish and full of snark just how I like it. But like 5 seconds in it got really gushy and melodramatic and lame.  :facepalm: The king and the warrior princess spontaneously started perving on each other with no build up, and it really threw me out of the story. Whereas the princess had been brash, romantically inept, and combat-minded in the knight's route (only crying at the death of friends and the loss of her religion), she was suddenly all weepy and swooney and horny in the king's route. It was like...um, what prompted this 180 degree shift in personality? And what was up with the narrative suddenly focusing on how 'hot' the king was, when the knight's route explored questions of honesty, guilt, and sacrifice, and delved into the princess's cruel back story and her relationship with her ruthless mother? And how come the knight's route ended with them both going into battle together and then the princess ruling her own kingdom, and the king's route ended with the princess being preggers and getting a family portrait painted?  :huh:

Sometimes I wonder about these otome games, you guys  :rolleyes: Were the two routes written by two entirely different groups of people? Honestly.

EDIT 2: Umm...WTF? So I guess the third route is the S&M date rape storyline???? Seriously what the hell is going on game

You've totally lost me here

It's a good thing I pirated this game because I swear

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

So this looked really interesting.... just finished installing it and am playing it now. ^_^ (Although I'll try like heck to stay clear of that traumatizing storyline you mentioned... x_X)

#6 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

So this looked really interesting.... just finished installing it and am playing it now. ^_^ (Although I'll try like heck to stay clear of that traumatizing storyline you mentioned... x_X)

Dear God yes, please steer clear. Go for Lezette. He's precious~ :rock:

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#7 Elraine

Elraine

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

I'm not even sure how I choose... everything seems to be happening so randomly... and I only get to choose a place to go every so often... then just follow the story... =\

#8 Elraine

Elraine

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

So I managed to get everyone killed... and now I'm on this weird loop-back where everything was a dream... xD

#9 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

Ice Bear bought these legally

• Senior Members
  • 10,310 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:53 AM

So I managed to get everyone killed... and now I'm on this weird loop-back where everything was a dream... xD

I love the nonchalance of "So I managed to get everyone killed...."

#10 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

lolololol the time travel thing happens no matter how you play the game, hence the (somewhat redundant) title, Second Reproduction. Although the full extent of your time travel power is never made clear, it becomes apparent that you have this special ability thanks to

Spoiler

Good luck getting the happy ending, though...it's tough. If you need help, there's a walkthrough of the choices you need to make in order to achieve it here.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#11 Elraine

Elraine

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

lolololol the time travel thing happens no matter how you play the game, hence the (somewhat redundant) title, Second Reproduction. Although the full extent of your time travel power is never made clear, it becomes apparent that you have this special ability thanks to

Spoiler

Good luck getting the happy ending, though...it's tough. If you need help, there's a walkthrough of the choices you need to make in order to achieve it here.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

Oh yay! So I'm not just a terrible player that manages to kill the characters in my care... yet. xD Thanks for the tips, Mara! :D

#12 Elraine

Elraine

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

It was so beautiful, I nearly cried.... T___T ...and then I really did cry when the stupid game cut off the view of the epilogue screen and went into the credits!!! Tried accessing it from the 'events', but that only lets you see up until right before the epilogue screen shows... now I'll never know what happens after...

Spoiler

...There was still a whole paragraph left after that... D: I wanna know...

Spoiler

...and thanks again for the walk-through... I got the bad ending the first time... which I figured would happen...

Spoiler

But I didn't feel like figuring out the precise steps to get the good ending myself, so that walk-through came in handy! ^_^

#13 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

..There was still a whole paragraph left after that... D: I wanna know...

if they had those 3 - 6 kids!!! D:

The epilogue only mentions the first kid they have (but we can assume they have more eventually). Did you play the special holiday event extra? Cause it was HOT lol

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#14 Elraine

Elraine

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

The epilogue only mentions the first kid they have (but we can assume they have more eventually). Did you play the special holiday event extra? Cause it was HOT lol

The what? O_O How do you get to that one?

Edit: Oh I think I found it... that event labeled "Valentine"?

Problem was that when I clicked the "The day I..." option I thought would be Lezette's, it turned out to be Jin's... x_X so terribly mortifying...
Spoiler

I did really enjoy Lezette's when I found it though. ^_^ Though he seemed a bit OOC for part of it. =\

Edited by Elraine, 26 August 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#15 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:23 AM

I did really enjoy Lezette's when I found it though. ^_^ Though he seemed a bit OOC for part of it. =\

That was kind of the point. People all have their own unique...breaking points. Gardis just helped it along a bit LOL

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

sorry you had to experience Jin's special creepy brand of insanity

#16 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

Otome game and RPG fans, I have a recommendation for you! It's called Re:Alistair++, and for a free game, it's pretty awesome.

realistair-b.jpg

The plot goes like this: Merui is a video game junky - especially when it comes to her favorite MMORPG, Rivenwell Online. Merui also has a very short temper, so when some asshole named "Alistair" steals a rare item from her, she’s determined to exact revenge on him. Unfortunately, she has no idea which one of her fellow gamer classmates is the culprit. She eventually narrows it down to three guys...can she solve the mystery and exact her revenge, and will she find romance~ in the process? ilovethis.gif

The first time I played this, I had no clue that choices like doing homework vs. watching tv actually affected the outcome, so I got a totally unexpected ending where this guy I didn't even like suddenly became my character's boyfriend....if you'd care to avoid such an ignominious fate, you can check out the walkthrough here (spoilers on the bottom half of the page, though). I ended up playing 3 routes (I crapped out on the 4th), but I really liked 2 out of the 3, so hey, those are pretty good stats for an otome game >.<

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#17 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

"We are all in cages, trapped by our history, our roles, our expectations. It is only that some cages are more comfortable than others."

tumblr_mioxfdwWoD1r1rn8qo1_500.png

I recently pirated *ahem* "obtained" this game, since it seemed similar in overall theme to the other warrior-chick otome game I played not too long ago, The Second Reproduction. It took me two nights to finish all of the good endings (since there were more characters in this one), and I have to say, it was really engaging!

The social injustices of the setting are a reversal of most European-style fantasy; in the game, only firstborn daughters can inherit property and titles, meaning that princes and dukes and the like have to make good marriages if they are to secure their futures. Similar challenges face younger daughters of noble families, who need to obtain land and money before they can ever hope to start a family. The main character, Madeleine, is the second daughter of a low-ranking noble family, meaning that she is entitled to absolutely no inheritance and must either act as an understudy for her sister or work for a living. Defying her parent's expectations, she chooses the latter, and ends up taking a job as a bodyguard/valet/personal assistant/spymaster/all-around-caretaker for Prince Oscar, a young, innocent prince of medium consequence from her kingdom. It is her job to protect him, groom him (literally, she has to brush his hair and everything), spy for him, promote his interests, and whip him into the kind of suitable young man that can be married off to someone of rank, dammit! Things are looking good for Oscar after he gets invited to a neighboring kingdom for the debut of Princess Cassidy, along with a group of other potential suitors...but then, everything goes to hell in a hand-basket after Oscar is assaulted and the Princess Cassidy goes missing. The princes are confined to quarters while the investigation into her disappearance begins, so it's up to Madeleine to sneak out and discover who is responsible for Cassidy's kidnapping. What follows is an entertaining story of palace intrigue, familial lies, and botched assassinations. Who will Madeleine ally herself with? What enemies will she make? What secrets will she uncover about the people closest to her? And perhaps most importantly, how will she leverage the information she gathers to ensure that she walks away from the whole affair with land and a title, so that she can marry whomever she chooses?

I think my favorite part of this game was the main character. Madeleine was, first and foremost, a proactive protagonist, which is a freaking GODSEND in a genre filled with passive or reactive leads. She had a strong sense of a duty, and there was an element of practicality to her machinations; she was never outright cruel or wholly self-serving, but was willing to use any means at her disposal (short of murder) to accomplish her tasks...everything from daggers, to diplomacy, to bribery, to befriending prison guards. She was by no means super talented or brilliant, but she possessed the kind of well-rounded competence that you would expect from someone who spends their life managing and protecting royalty.

The other best feature of The Royal Trap was the variety in the "good" endings (most of the bad endings were similar, with Madeleine ending up penniless and facing an uncertain future). There were the traditional otome game endings, of course, where you end up marrying someone you love, though none of the romances were as precious and tear-jerking as the one between Christina and her knight Lezette in The Second Reproduction (though honestly, that's not a fair comparison, because I could probably play otome games till I'm blue in the face, and I'd never encounter a route I like as much as LezettexChristina). I think my favorite pairing was probably Madeleine and Callum, because they had major chemistry in their mutual ruthlessness (plus their route starts with a knife fight. How can you go wrong? ;) )

There were also endings where you played matchmaker for another couple, endings where you gave up your happiness to secure someone else's, and endings where you sacrificed some element of your own morality to get a better position for yourself. There was even a girlxgirl route, but the romance was disappointingly understated (I wanted a kiss, dammit! That girl was adorable, and all we got was hand-holding and the suggestion of future love? LAME.) Some of the routes revealed more of the plot than others, so you really had to play multiple times to get the full picture of what was going on at the palace (not that I minded).

The designs and main game art were so-so (by my insane standards), but the CG event art was quite nice, and the theme music was pretty great too. ....And by now, you've probably gone into tl;dr mode, so I'll wrap it up before this review gets any more excessive. FUN GAME. PLAY, YES? OK? OK.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#18 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Step 1: Illegally download Japanese game

Step 2: Mount .iso file on virtual drive for install

Step 3: Run English patch

Step 4: ichaincameplz.gif

The pirated title in question? Starry☆Sky in Spring, an otome game about...astronomy. And friendshippppu~. Yeah.

starry_zps0a66a8b5.jpg

I think my favorite part of this game was the vibrancy and authenticity of the characters' relationships with one another. They argued and joked and got flustered and helped each other out, just like Real Live PeopleTM. At first I was worried that the game would bore me because it lacks the exciting and fast-paced plot of, say, The Royal Trap, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. It was charming, emotive, and funny; in a way, it reminded me of the years I spent in the astronomy club in high school (though much more idyllic and romantic, haha). It was also quite bittersweet, focusing on the way that relationships change over time, and emphasizing the point that all good things must come to an end.

Definitely recommended for those of you who feel no shame stealing shit off thepiratebay ;)

EDIT: Finally finished all 3 routes! Suzuya's was my favorite. I'll just go ahead and add him to my lengthy list of fictional husbands... :rolleyes:

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#19 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Another day, another illegally downloaded otome game...

tumblr_lpoklxxzyp1r1rn8qo1_r1_500.png

It's called Love and Order, which is a weird title, because there was very little love involved. There was, however, lots of photocopying. And writing memos. And taking minutes at meetings...maybe it should've been called Secretary and Order. :facepalm: Anyway, the game's set in Montreal, and it stars a young woman who has just gotten a job as an administrative assistant at a local law firm. The office is overworked and understaffed, so you have to choose which projects to take on and which bosses to kiss up to :rolleyes: You also have to manage your stress levels (they rise CRAZY fast...this woman needs a valium) and budget your money (which is next to impossible, since you make $10 a week, and it costs $5 just for some shitty Chinese food).

Basically, the plot goes like this: you uncover an old case that was dismissed years ago without ever going to trial, and something about it seems suspicious. You investigate on your own, but every time it seems like you're getting close to the truth, your sources clam up, or tell you to leave well enough alone, or say something to frighten you. If you screw up and leave evidence of your investigation lying around at work, you get fired, and the game ends. Eventually you realize that someone in your law firm is a wanted con...but who? The ending is super rushed...like, I told my boss about what I had discovered, and the next day the guilty party was being dragged away in handcuffs. Then it was like GAME OVER. I was like...OK? Except that it wasn't actually game over. Earlier on in the game I had accidentally asked out the blonde dude in the above pic (I'm serious. I had wanted to ask out the girl, Dorothy, but I pushed the wrong button. Oops). Apparently blondie was so happy about me solving this huge case that he proposed to me. LOL, accidental marriage, am I right?

I'm not sure if I'll play any of the other routes. The game was kind of stressful, because it was fast-paced and full of busywork. It felt like being a real overworked secretary at a crappy law firm (so props for realism?). Glad I didn't pay $20 for it, though. There wasn't even CLOSE to enough material in the game to warrant that kind of price tag. Thanks to the Deviantart person who helped me get it for free! :la:

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#20 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:55 AM

I had to go to some seriously sketchy websites to pirate this game, but I finally got my hands on it: the mystery/college life sim "Nicole"!

Nicole-game.jpg

This game was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo freakin' good! Holy crap. It's by the same people who made "Love and Order", which I mentioned in the post above this, but "Nicole" was 678963647568970898768 times better.

The basic premise is as follows: Nicole is thrilled to have gotten into her top choice college, and she eagerly awaits her first semester of law school in Florida. However, as soon as she moves into the university dorms, she finds out that there’ve been a series of mysterious disappearances going on around the campus. So far, three girls have already gone missing, only to turn up 72 hours later with no memory of what happened to them. Nicole begins to investigate the disappearances, but she'd better watch out - if she's not careful, she could become the perpetrator's next target...or worse, she could end up dating him!

I got the impression that the people who wrote this game had a TON of fun working on it. The characters are vivacious and witty, and the story, while not exactly rife with plot twists, has just enough suspense to keep you wondering right up until the end. The main character, Nicole, was such a pleasant surprise - at first I wasn't sure how to feel about her, since she seemed a bit too into fashion and shopping for my tastes, but then she turned out to be a freaking TUMBLR nerd, and I instantly fell in love with her (of course, they call Tumblr "Rollr" in the game - they swap out all brand names with silly substitutes, like "Stardoes" for Starbucks, "Lie's potato chips" for Lay's, and "Flype" for Skype). She's just so completely genuine and 100% true to herself at all times, and while she occasionally falls into valley girl mannerisms (being from California), she also has an impressive capacity for snark and a penchant for tumblr speak (she refers to two of the guys as her "BrOTP" in the game, for example). What can I say? The writing team obviously knew their target audience :rolleyes:

Anyway, as the game progresses, you have the option to save up money and raise various stats by working campus jobs and participating in certain activities (such as studying, socializing, playing sports, etc.). You also need to gather "clues" by questioning other students and snooping around town looking for suspicious behavior. The stats you choose to raise, the stuff you buy with your money, and the number of clues you gather all affect gameplay, as does your interactions with the four main "suspects". Who are, from left to right: Jeff, Kurt, Darren, and Ted.

nicoleguys.png
Whodunnit? Hurr durr

Jeff is a sort of melodramatic, self-aggrandizing pharmacology student, Kurt is a football jock dudebro with a penchant for horrible one-liners, Darren is an old-fashioned history nerd who is tumblr-famous but painfully shy in real life, and Ted is a workaholic Tsundere hardass with a southern accent and a hot cop father :rolleyes: The character development in each route unfolded really naturally, and I had heaps of fun discovering each guy's personality quirks and secrets mwhahaha. Nobody was who they seemed to be on the surface, and with the exception of one of the suspects (whose route I didn't particularly like because of reasonsTM that I won't describe for fear of spoilers), everyone's actions and motivations seemed believable. I picked out the culprit pretty early on in the game, but there was still a niggling suspicion deep down that I could be wrong, right up until the final scene. I also gotta give the game props for being realistic enough to end with the perpetrator going to jail, even in the route where Nicole fell in love with him. All four guys were convincingly flawed (with one being actually crazy) - no 100% perfect Marty Stu jerkoffs like you sometimes find in otome games. My favorite route was of course Darren's, because, um, introverted history nerd with glasses who is extremely hard to get? I think yes. >.<

*ahem* Anyway, I highly recommend this game, and I would be more than willing to share it with anyone who wants to play (installation can get a bit tricky since it's a pirated copy, but I can walk you through it). Man, this makes me really want to create my own otome game for NaNoRenO (which is like NaNoWriMo, but for visual novels). Maybe someday...

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users