#1 Alex

Alex

Gotta blast!

• Admin
  • 2,985 posts
  • Nickname:Alex

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:51 AM

Hey all

Long time no post! Hope you've all been well!

I've been casually gathering high quality JN digital media to archive.   :Goddard:

Soundtrack ✅

I have an ~340mb FLAC copy of the soundtrack. Original CDs are widely available online. Super high quality, and I'm satisfied here!

Movie (2001) ⚠️

I have a video that appears to have originated from HBO. It's 1080p and quite high quality, ~8gb. It appears to have originated from a 35mm film (or whatever they used in theaters) as it has "grain" and frame shuffle. This is much higher quality than the consumer DVD. It's quite good, however...

I would love to have a higher quality HD version of the film that's not scanned from the film -- but I'm not sure if the original digital export of the movie even exists anymore. I'd be curious if Viacom even has it anymore. (I assume not, as the HD HBO copy appears to be a film source.)

TV Show Episodes ❌

AFAIK the TV show is all ~480p (or ~480i?) and wasn't ever rendered in HD.

I've found CBS All Access has high quality episodes without much compression. It also has every single episode! However, unfortunately, they have a lot of interlacing artifacts on any edges. You can see this in any movement (look at the title at the end of the intro of each episode, where the camera pans down as Jimmy rides in with Goddard.

This is, however, the highest quality collection I've been able to get my hands onto.

iTunes and Amazon Prime also have episodes available, however they have the same interlacing issues, and seem to be lower quality (higher compression).

I'm currently looking for original quality episodes, and at very least I would like to know the original export format (size, interlaced or not) when exported from the animation studio.

I am looking for lossless not-upscaled, 480p episodes. The interlacing is killing me! (Yes, there are DVDs available - however they're "Best Of" and not complete collections.)

Pilot ⚠️

I have a relatively high quality version of the pilot, Runaway Rocketboy from Vimeo (uploaded only a month ago). However it does have some compression. If anyone has the original VHS and would be willing to let me borrow it... Let me know!

Shorts 

There's a lot of JN shorts on YouTube, but they all have a lot of compression artifacts. I've been able to rip them directly from the JN movie DVD, but they're also relatively low quality there, and have interlacing artifacts.

I ordered from amazon.com what appears to be an "HD DVD" copy of the movie, which might have higher quality shorts. I'll update this if an HD DVD of JN actually arrives, or if it was just mislabeled...

#2 Emily

Emily

Simply brilliant... <3

• Senior Members
  • 19,589 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:58 AM

Wow, that's really impressive! Are all these on different sites or what? And yeah, long time, no see! :dance:

#3 Alex

Alex

Gotta blast!

• Admin
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:06 AM

Wow, that's really impressive! Are all these on different sites or what? And yeah, long time, no see! :dance:

Yeah, it's kinda a mish-mash of various sites. I've managed to download the files for each of these things. That being said, they can all be streamed directly from their sources (movie from HBO/netflix, show from CBS All Access) They're all much higher quality than what IDOJ hosted, so that's good. :-) 

Worth noting the CBS All Access episodes just started being available ~ a month ago. Which includes some rarer episodes, like the Xmas special.

I won't be hosting them publicly, but once I'm happy with the archive I'll likely share it with anyone here that wants it. :-)

All accounted for it's ~65gb of content.

But I'm really hoping to eventually find higher quality episodes. One day....

#4 J/C AVA

J/C AVA

C3P3DR0

• Senior Members
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:27 AM

WHOOOOOA! ALEX!!!! Long time no see, man!

#5 Alex

Alex

Gotta blast!

• Admin
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 07:48 PM

More info on the movie release being from a 35mm format. Looks like someone else had the same question here:

https://www.reddit.c...ever_digitally/

WHOOOOOA! ALEX!!!! Long time no see, man!

Right? I need to stop by more often. :)

#6 Emily

Emily

Simply brilliant... <3

• Senior Members
  • 19,589 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:53 PM

MUCH more often! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users