23 replies to this topic

#1 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

Benevolent, All-Seeing Eye

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts
  • Nickname:Mara

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Share you favorite podcasts with your fellow IDOJers! Include a link to available episodes (when possible), along with a brief description of the podcast ^_^ Here's my list!

Hardcore History

Description: Dan Carlin is like, some sort of deity to me. Seriously. If you like history even a little bit, listen to his podcasts - he makes that shit come alive. I recommend his "Ghosts of the Ostfront" series for first time listeners :dance:

Common Sense

Description: More Dan Carlin, this time with a modern political twist! Want to sit back and enjoy the musings of a well-informed, highly intelligent man as he gets pissed off at our corrupt and ass-backward governmental machine? Then this is the show for you!

Startalk Radio

Description: Astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson fuses astronomy and popular culture in this often informative, always hilarious series. Episodes with Eugene Mirman as the comedian co-host are my personal fave~

Welcome to Night Vale

Description: This podcast prides itself on being impossible to describe to family and friends, but I will attempt to summarize using the following adjectives: absurd, surreal, dystopian, chilling, uplifting, thought-provoking, humorous, and just plain weird.

I highly encourage mandatory membership in the non-optional fandom, by order of the vague yet menacing government agency. Just remember the most important rule of Night Vale: DO NOT APPROACH THE DOG PARK

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#2 underwater

underwater

loves to lurk

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Nickname:Corinne

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

Godless Bitches

Info: atheist/agnostic/women's issues podcast from the religious south...I consider myself Catholic, but these ladies are funny and whip smart and I really like listening to people like them

Corinne

#3 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Forgot one!

Radiolab

Description: Radiolab is a show about curiosity, covering topics related to science, philosophy, and human experience. As heard on NPR!

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#4 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:47 PM

Got another one to recommend to you guys!

Are you interested in world affairs? Do you consider yourself even remotely socially liberal? Do you support gay marriage, better environmental protections, gender/racial equality, and the like? Then Best of the Left is for You!

Check it out. You'll be glad you did. [/advertiser's voice]

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#5 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:32 AM

Aaaaand another: The Infinite Monkey Cage on BBC4.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#6 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Finished all available episodes of The Infinite Monkey Cage. Now I'm listening to History of the Crusades by Tasmanian podcaster Sharyn Eastaugh. Just finished the episode on the so-called 'peasant's crusade'...which I had somehow never heard of in all my years of taking history classes :blink:

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#7 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:36 AM

Time to admit the truth: my absolute favorite podcast is Cognitive Dissonance. It's crass, it's unapologetic, and it's hysterically funny. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but for the people who enjoy it, it's like crack cocaine.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#8 Chompyzilla

Chompyzilla

Bubble travel is the way of the future!

• Senior Members
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:24 PM

So I started watching The podcast from Mara's last post. It's basically two smartasses talking about world issues, making offensive jokes, and cackling at them. It's funny in all the best ways. I've made it to episode 14 so far, and I have survived.

#9 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

Ice Bear bought these legally

• Senior Members
  • 10,299 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

Now I'm listening to History of the Crusades by Tasmanian podcaster Sharyn Eastaugh.

Just started listening to this yesterday. I'm three episodes in and so far I really enjoy it.

#10 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:05 PM

So I started watching The podcast from Mara's last post. It's basically two smartasses talking about world issues, making offensive jokes, and cackling at them. It's funny in all the best ways. I've made it to episode 14 so far, and I have survived.

Yessss! Now you and Athena both listen. I HAVE WON :evillaugh:

In other news: Tom and Cecil featured a voicemail I left them on their most recent episode, "Amish Button Gun". I am positively tickled pink.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#11 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:42 AM

The Memory Palace.

Tiny historical tidbits...fascinating side stories that you won't hear anywhere else. They run about 3-6 minutes, sometimes less, so if you have a short attention span, this is the podcast for you.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#12 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

Shit-town is an incredible podcast. It's short - only 7 episodes - so give it a listen!

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#13 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:24 AM

I highly recommend the improvised science fiction spoof MISSION TO ZYXX.

Join pinkish AMBASSADOR PLECK DECKSETTER, know-it-all droid C-53 and hulking, omnisexual security officer DAR as they travel aboard the seen-it-all sentient starship THE BARGAREAN JADE on their mission to establish diplomatic relations with planets in the remote and frankly crappy ZYXX QUADRANT, while being poorly managed by JUNIOR MISSIONS OPERATIONS MANAGER NERMUT BUNDALOY on behalf of the definitely-not-evil FEDERATED ALLIANCE. What will befall them today as they hurtle through THE SPACE toward unknown destinies!? Listen to find out.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#14 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:28 PM

Ever since I first heard it in 2018, I've been obsessed with the story of the Isdal woman, told here in Death in Ice Valley.

The podcast, which is produced by the BBC, chronicles the mysterious, unsolved death of an unidentified woman in Norway. It seems likely that she was involved in espionage or illegal activity, and the circumstances surrounding the case are intriguing and enigmatic. If you're interested in Cold War history, forensic archaeology, or true crime, I highly recommend this one!

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#15 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:47 PM

I keep meaning to try more podcasts. I listened to The Office Ladies for a while, but I lost interest eventually. I feel like maybe it's just not for me, or maybe, I just need to work my way into it... I don't know. 

This sounds SUPER interesting though. 

#16 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 11:05 PM

I'm a junkie. I have 31 different shows that I listen to regularly or semi-regularly, and that's not even counting limited series like the Isdal woman case.  

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#17 SheWolf

SheWolf

These hands!! I cant get them off my wrists!!

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:58 PM

I have tried to get into Podcasts but I never feel like listening to them. For awhile I was into the Swindled podcast. I still think it is good, but have been taking a break because it was bumming me out.

#18 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 11:28 PM

A new recommendation:

Tides of History is perfect for anyone interested in the history of the ancient world. It includes in-depth discussions with anthropologists, archaeologists, geneticists, and others working in the field.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#19 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 03:45 AM

New favorite podcast: Terrible Lizards, a dinosaur-themed podcast hosted by a British comedian/historian and her friend the paleontologist.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#20 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:27 PM

oooo! i am going to have to look that up! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users