• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RocksmySocks

RocksmySocks

DJ was here.

• Senior Members
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:26 AM

An idea inspired by Writer Woman's latest story...as well as the events of today.

--------------------------------------------------
A Deserving Honor

“We gather here today to celebrate the life of a fallen comrade,” Writer Woman began, standing at a podium beside an open grave. “Brave, loyal, intelligent, and tenacious…I believe I can say with confidence that there is not one of us whose life has not been touched, and in some cases saved, by this courageous member of our team. Ratty, today we salute you.”

Dozens of Neutron Knights rose to their feet, giving a soldier’s salute as the tiny coffin was lowered into the ground.

“Arriving as unexpectedly as her human companion, Ratty at first seemed to be nothing more than an oddity. The strange quirk that came along with the teenage girl we brought into our base. But the events which unfolded after their arrival changed everything. Our team earned itself a new Knight, our very own Lady of the Rats. And we also earned ourselves a dear companion, of a rather fuzzy nature. A brilliant mind and a sneaky disposition soon lead Ratty on to missions we would never had dreamed of achieving before her arrival. Achieve them we did. And whether or not the world knows it, the entire population owes their lives to this amazing rodent, several times over. Ratty’s success on the team was so incredible, that Rat Lady was asked to allow her to breed. Soon, Ratty gave rise to an entire line of whiskered intelligence officers. The Rat Brigade, as they quickly were dubbed. New Knights who wish to train with them are matched to a rodent partner based on a series of personality tests. Rat Lady now leads this Brigade, teaching the new generations of Knights the art and skill of working with a non-human field agent.”

Several Knights around the grave reached to their pockets to scratch their own rodent partners on the head. Others simply reached to their pockets for a tissue.

“Yes,” Writer Woman continued, “Ratty was a living legend. But for all her hard work, we Knights failed her in one astounding way.”

Several heads shot up from their tears in alarm at what Writer Woman could mean.

“We never officially made her one of us,” Writer Woman said grimly. “A simple human prejudice, to be sure. Neutron Knights: this rat gave her life to save our base three nights ago. On top of that, she has given us decades of loyal, unfailing service. And perhaps most importantly, she has given many of us a friendship we could have never predicted.”

Writer Woman paused, allowing her words to sink in, before reaching her objective.

“Knights of the Neutron realm, with your blessing, I ask that we name Ratty a Neutron Knight!”

Immediate cheers erupted from the large crowd.

Writer Woman grinned in response. “Then so be it! I now invite Ratty’s oldest and dearest friend to the podium, to perform the honor. Rat Lady, if you could please come forward.”

A short woman with long gray hair rose carefully to her feet and made her way forward. Her face was red and puffy from emotion, and her eyes swelled with glistening tears. When she spoke, however, her voice had a calm to it that seemed to soothe even the most broken of hearts in the crowd.

“Thank you, Writer Woman. Thank you all,” Rat Lady began, tucking a stray silver strand of hair behind her ear. “It means so much to me to see this many faces at the funeral of my dear companion. My dear partner. My dear friend.”

A moment of silence passed, interrupted only by the sound of noses blowing.

“You see, Ratty was the reason I made it this far. Ratty was the reason I survived imprisonment as a young girl in the clutches of Eddie’s mercenaries. Ratty was the reason I became a Neutron Knight. Ratty was the reason I stayed a Knight. Why I stayed myself, through all the troubles and trials I faced as a Knight. She was my everything. We were bonded in a way that I can only hope some members of my Rat Brigade may someday be, but doubt any have reached yet. It is a wonderful bond, though a fair warning: it can also be a painful one. I was not aware my heart could feel as strongly as it does today. And today it feels pain.”

She paused to wipe her eyes and take a deep breath.

“Ratty was…is…someone spectacular. I am proud to bestow upon her the honor of Knighthood. It could not go to a more deserving candidate.” Rat Lady smiled . “And never fear. Harbor no guilt over not giving her this honor sooner – Ratty would have much preferred an extra peanut-butter cracker to a fancy title.”

There was some gentle laughter through the crowd, and Rat Lady walked forward to the very edge of the grave.

“Ratty,” she began, reaching her hand over the coffin in a ceremonious fashion. “You have proved yourself worthy in every way imaginable. I now dub thee: Lady Ratty, full Knight of the Neutron Realm. Welcome to the Neutron Knights.”

Another round of cheers began, with hugs flying between Knights of all ages.

Underneath the celebratory noises, Rat Lady spoke in a whisper, her words choked by emotion.

“And goodbye, my sweet darling girl. We will meet again someday. How could we not?”

Tears fell down her wrinkled face. “Until then, remember that I love you. I will love you forever. Not because of what you mean to the Knights, but for what you mean to me. Thank you for being my friend.”

May all lost friends rest in peace, whether they walked on two legs or four.

#2 Beks

Beks

Achievement Unlocked: Turn Your Tassel

• Senior Members
  • 9,608 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:55 AM

*cries* BAW! That was such a sweet story! :'( :'(

*hugs Rat Lady* :hug:

I'm a little grateful you didn't mention how old I had gotten. ;) If you had gray hair, imagine what Writer Woman would look like in her golden years! :whistle:

#3 RocksmySocks

RocksmySocks

DJ was here.

• Senior Members
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:02 AM

Thanks, Beks. Heh, yeah, I did leave your age out on purpose, since you're meant to have what...a couple decades on me? Maybe just one decade. Either way, lol. You're an old fogey in this tale, written in or not. :P

#4 Beks

Beks

• Senior Members
  • 9,608 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:09 AM

Drat! Although I seemed pretty energetic on stage. ^_^

*hugs Rat Lady some more* :hug: :hug:

#5 RocksmySocks

RocksmySocks

DJ was here.

• Senior Members
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Drat! Although I seemed pretty energetic on stage. ^_^

*hugs Rat Lady some more* :hug: :hug:

I always see you as that crazy old woman who is still doing something nuts, like playing baseball or spelunking, at age 90. And then you will sit down and talk to a kid for hours about a life lesson that at the time, they roll your eyes at, but then later they find themselves taking your words to heart. In a nutshell: you're going to be the "awesome" grandma.

Thank you for the hugs. :hug:

#6 Beks

Beks

• Senior Members
  • 9,608 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

Sweet! :D :thumbsup:

#7 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

Ice Bear bought these legally

• Senior Members