• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Pigquet3

Pigquet3

Thug Lyfe Guard

• Senior Members
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Ahhh, yes...the world where everyone turns to one nine-year-old boy for help and 60% of the population has a unibrow... ;)

Okay, so there's been a lot of discussion and reminincing lately about Hey Arnold, and I figured it was about time we had a fanclub for it here on IDOJ. (If there's already been one in the past, I apologize, but I've never seen one...) It seems that a lot of us here are fans of this old show from Nick's "good, classic cartoon era", and even if you don't have a passionate love for it, I think we can all agree that this was a very good show. One of the best of the 90's.

Its so weird, but for the past few weeks I've just been watching it SO often on YT (I'm not sure how I started one day, but I just got hooked eventually) and getting caught up with it, and finally realized why so many people like it. Its realistic! Its creative! It teaches good values, and of course...its hysterical! :lol: Also plenty of development on almost every minor character. I really think that when I was eight, nine, or ten growing up when this aired, I wasn't old enough to really appreciate or realize the sheer awesomeness that this show was built upon. Of course I watched it now and then because everyone did...and there were episodes I'll always remember and lines of dialouge that made me LOL...but I never GOT why it was so great as a whole. I mean, its not anything that couldn't happen...the situations are exaggerated and unlikely, but its not science fiction, or talking animals, or babies breaking out and doing adventures. It was just regular kids with regular problems, the main character being one of the most moral and honest ones around. What's so special about that? And, you'd think that a show with the main character being so nice and doing the right thing would be boring...but of course, its the people AROUND HIM that make him and the show so interesting and funny. (Sort of like its the people around Sheen that make him so awesome :lol: )

There's just a lot of humor and messages in there that most of us can't get at a young age, unless you're highly developed and intelligent growing up. No wonder so many young adults love it as well. I love the fact that I laugh SOOO SO much harder at this show now than I ever did when I was 10. And, I now freakin' LOVE Helga Pataki! I love this character!! I love how she can go from angry/bitter mode, to romantic poet mode, to ninja-stalker mode in a matter of 11 minutes. :lol: Her vocabulary is great and she says the best lines, IMO. She constantly cracks me up. She has a lot of flaws and communication issues, but a good heart. I think also as I kid I didn't get the humor of her being THAT obsessed with Arnold. Whereas any adults nearby when I was watching it would laugh at her scenes, I just brushed it off. Now I realize she's completely insane. And, as funny as she is...you have to feel a smidge sorry for her, being that her homelife really sucks. Another very realistic thing about this show...not every family is a good one, and not every bad family is ever going to get better. Sometimes it just makes you smarter and stronger. But, knowing that Arnold was the first one to ever be nice to her...it makes sense why she is this way. Its still ammusing, but you can almost see where she's coming from. I love complex characters like that (Another reason the show appeals to me...I love unique, original characters. And, there's plenty!). I love almost everything about this show, but her episodes are my absolute favorite. She now has a special place in my heart as the best cartoon character of all time.

And, of course...I am extremely upset that the show ended on such a cliffhanger! I know every show has to end at some point...I'm not upset that it didn't have a 6th season. I just wish the The Jungle Movie was made, or at least some form of closure about what really happened to his parents. I always cry at The Journal and love it a lot, but there should have been a better ending. *sigh*

What are your opinions? I'm not going to declare myself President or anything like that, because I doubt I'm the biggest fan. I'm just the club starter. lol As the starter, some discussions might be...

Who's your favorite character? Least favorite?
Favorite episode? Least favorite?
Do you like how the series ended on a cliffhanger, or do you wish there was more closure?
Funniest moment?
Most touching moment? Any scenes or episodes that make you feel fuzzy inside/want to cry? (i.e., I always cry at "Arnold's Christmas", "Parent's Day", and "The Journal")
Anything you like better now that you're older than when you were young?
What do you ship, if anything, in the show?
Which of Arnold's voice actors do you like best? (There's been five, lol)

Or just anything else at all unique that you like about this show! I'll answer some of those later, because this post is WAY long enough already (I guess the Queen of Magpieism has returned). I just wanted to make this while the idea was fresh in my mind. I'd love to discuss this show with IDOJers. If I'm always cracking up at comments on YT, I'm sure IDOJers opinions will be even more enjoyable. So join if you wish! We'll see how it goes! ^_^

Members:

Pigquet
Mary
Emily
Zoey
Katie
Sheenfan

See y'all
:bff:
B) Pigquet

P.S. Its so strange, I remember Flank always said this was his favorite show. I never understood why then, but of course I do now...

#2 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

Ice Bear bought these legally

• Senior Members
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

I love love love Hey Arnold. When I was growing up, I always liked it a lot, but it was never really too much on my radar. I'd watch new episodes, and certain moments would stay in my memory, but like you I pretty much always just sorta brushed it aside.

But then in the middle of this past school year, I decided that I missed the show and wanted to watch it again. So I downloaded a torrent that had all five seasons and the movie. It took forever to download because the wireless connection in my room was acting up, but it was certainly worth it. Once I had all the episodes, I started watching like crazy. I watched all the ones I remember liking the most as a kid, and the ones I couldn't even remember ever watching. I even got my little sister to watch an episode or two with me, and she doesn't remember the show much because it was taken off the air once she got old enough to want to watch it.

And like you, I like this show so much more now than I ever did when I was little. I can enjoy it for its humor, its cuteness when dealing with childhood crushes, the sense of nostalgia I feel when watching, and of course the character development. The creators did such an amazing job with character development. Every minor character had at least one episode in which he or she was the star. You don't see that very often.

And for your questions...

My favorite episode is the one where they go to the opera, and everyone dreams in opera. That was my favorite episode the instant it aired, and it's remained my favorite all these years. I made myself a facebook sticker two years ago with my favorite quote from that episode: "My name's Don Arnold. Please have a caramel. Your hair is lovely. Do you like my...pants?" :lol: Very close behind is the episode where Helga attempts in vain to make Arnold jealous by pretending to date Stinky and then she dumps him when she realizes it isn't working, but afterwards Stinky realizes he really did fall in love with her. xDDDD

It's much harder to pick a favorite character, though. They're all so great and enjoyable in their own ways. Helga is my favorite female character, and my favorite male character is a tie between Sid and Stinky. Stinky's country twang and log cabin in the middle of the city are just plain ridiculous, and I love how Sid exaggerates everything and is prone to mood swings.

#3 Zoey <3

Zoey <3

“I wont be labeled as average"

• Senior Members
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

I would love to Join. Its so hard to pick out a favorite charecter or episode because it has been a while since I seen it.

#4 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

I'D forgive you, FJ... <3<3

• Senior Members
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

I'm in!

Yesh, I remember this show from the 90's, and how I fell in love with it almost as much as Rocket Power around the same time. lol Oh, nostalgia... You've hit me again, but I'm glad about it this time! I think I only saw around 15-20 eps, or maybe a few more than that, out of however many there were in Seasons 1-5, but I loved them all the same! I mainly saw ones from the first couple seasons, and only a few of the later seasons, but they're still great all the same! I recently started watching them again on YT, but I'm SO yearning to find a torrent online that has all 5 seasons, plus the movie!!

My fave character? Easy! That's gotta be Phoebe! I love how she's so sweet and innocent, not to mention smart! I kinda feel bad for her when Helga bosses her around, but she got her back in Hall Monitor! lol Oh, Phoebe... You never cease to amaze me at what your capable of. She and Lila are the only ones to know Helga's secret crush on Arnold. She doesn't say it directly, but it's hinted at in several eps, especially Helga Sleepwalks. That one cracks me up SSOOO much!!!! Phoebe's cute, too. I think she's definitely compatible with Gerald. But I definitely don't think Timberly is, cuz she's so annoying, like Tootie from FOP. <_< But Phoebe's cool, and most definitely insightful and intelligent! I just love her!!

All in all, HA is my kinda show!! Not as great as JN, but definitely a close second or third! :thumbsup:

Btw, I'm not volunteering for club president, cuz I'm not that big a fan, but I'll certainly take the role of vice prez!!

#5 Zoey <3

Zoey <3

• Senior Members
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Aww Rocket Power! My love for you will never die! *Huggles*

I loved Hey Arnold because I think alot of kids could relate to some of the situations. They had great episodes. I loved the movie about Arnolds parents. Uhm..I could be wrong, but isn't Timberly, Gerald's little sister. Nick..You had some of the best chartoons. What happened? My love for JN, HA, and RP will never die.

#6 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

• Senior Members
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

I fell in love with it almost as much as Rocket Power

:rock: I loved Rocket Power too. Maybe we should make a fanclub for that.

I recently started watching them again on YT, but I'm SO yearning to find a torrent online that has all 5 seasons, plus the movie!!

Today is your lucky day. The torrent you seek

#7 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

• Senior Members
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

Thanks, Mary! I have it converting with Vuze at this moment! ^_^

#8 Zoey <3

Zoey <3

• Senior Members
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Yes! A Rocket Power fan club is such a good idea!

I need to catch up on HA

#9 Pigquet3

Pigquet3

Thug Lyfe Guard

• Senior Members
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:49 AM

I love love love Hey Arnold.

Yay. XD

And like you, I like this show so much more now than I ever did when I was little. I can enjoy it for its humor, its cuteness when dealing with childhood crushes, the sense of nostalgia I feel when watching, and of course the character development. The creators did such an amazing job with character development. Every minor character had at least one episode in which he or she was the star. You don't see that very often.

Agreed to all of the above! And, I know! There are very few characters that don't have their own episode elaborating on their character. So no matter who your favorite character is, there's usually at least one episode for you. That's pretty darn cool!

My favorite episode is the one where they go to the opera, and everyone dreams in opera. That was my favorite episode the instant it aired, and it's remained my favorite all these years. I made myself a facebook sticker two years ago with my favorite quote from that episode: "My name's Don Arnold. Please have a caramel. Your hair is lovely. Do you like my...pants?" :lol: Very close behind is the episode where Helga attempts in vain to make Arnold jealous by pretending to date Stinky and then she dumps him when she realizes it isn't working, but afterwards Stinky realizes he really did fall in love with her. xDDDD

I surprisingly liked that one a lot more than I thought I would. I was hesitant to rewatch that one recently when I was catching up on 'em, because I'm not extremely fond of the older ones where Arnold still liked Ruth. But, I was wrong! That one was SO great and funny! Yes, that line always made me feel embarrassed for Arnold when I was younger...but now I just find it humorous and catchy. LOL. And, I adore Helga as a viking and her line "With my golden magic slingshot!" I...almost..died. LOL.

Oh yeah, that one was quite awesome, but its one of the very few I haven't rewatched yet. I saw the beginning recently, but not the whole show in years, but it did used to crack me up. I oughtta watch that one next. The plot twist at the end is classic.

It's much harder to pick a favorite character, though. They're all so great and enjoyable in their own ways. Helga is my favorite female character, and my favorite male character is a tie between Sid and Stinky. Stinky's country twang and log cabin in the middle of the city are just plain ridiculous, and I love how Sid exaggerates everything and is prone to mood swings.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm having a really hard time picking my second favorite character. Helga's obviously my favorite, and my second favorite may be...Grandpa Phil? His episodes ammuse me almost as much as Helga's, and he's gotta be the funniest grandparent you could wish for. He's hilarious! But, call me old-fashioned or boring...but Arnold just might be my real second fav. I just love the kid in general. Everyone else would just fall apart without him, even though almost everything he says and does should be obvious. :rolleyes:

LOOOL, your comment about Stinky made me laugh so hard! Yeah, it is ridiculously funny, but most of the time I like him. ^_^ When he and Sid aren't being the biggest gossips in the school.

Sid is so freakin' bipolar sometimes its crazy. (Especially in the one where Arnold saves his life. I love that one, LOL.) He is the classic overreactor. Even though I don't think he's the nicest guy, he brings a LOTTA lulz! Love when he shouts things! :lol:

My fave character? Easy! That's gotta be Phoebe! I love how she's so sweet and innocent, not to mention smart! I kinda feel bad for her when Helga bosses her around, but she got her back in Hall Monitor! lol Oh, Phoebe... You never cease to amaze me at what your capable of. She and Lila are the only ones to know Helga's secret crush on Arnold. She doesn't say it directly, but it's hinted at in several eps, especially Helga Sleepwalks. That one cracks me up SSOOO much!!!! Phoebe's cute, too. I think she's definitely compatible with Gerald. But I definitely don't think Timberly is, cuz she's so annoying, like Tootie from FOP. <_< But Phoebe's cool, and most definitely insightful and intelligent! I just love her!!

Yeah, Phoebe is a sweetheart. And, one of the most grade-concious bookworms in that whole school. As much as I love Helga to death, sometimes it seems like Phoebe's her personal servant. XD Most of the time she doesn't mind, and I think they make a great team. Since Phoebe's the shy, quiet type anyway, so it makes sense that she'd be the listener in the friendship. When Helga tried to replace Phoebe, she absolutely couldn't. Maybe 'cause there's no one else in the world who would be as loyal and obedient? lol But, I do like the one where Phoebe breaks her leg and in the end her and Helga make an agreement that Helga's gonna have to start doing nice things for her as well. ^_^

Yeah, I believe the ship of Gerald/Phoebe is supposed to be cannon, though, is it just me or was that relationship emphasized much more in the beginning of the series than later on? Which is strange, because usually they develop the minor cannon pairs along with the main ones a lot more later on in a series. I could be wrong, the hardcore fans will tell me of plenty of times they had moments in later episodes, but its just what I've noticed. I dont' ship them, but they are pretty cute.

Dr. Bliss also knows Helga's secret, but I assume you were just talking about other kids. lol

Btw, I'm not volunteering for club president, cuz I'm not that big a fan, but I'll certainly take the role of vice prez!!

I can put you up for that! :thumbsup:

I loved Hey Arnold because I think alot of kids could relate to some of the situations. They had great episodes. I loved the movie about Arnolds parents. Uhm..I could be wrong, but isn't Timberly, Gerald's little sister.

Yes, totally realistic situations anyone can relate to!

Yeah, that's Gerald's little sister. The most demon-possessed little sibbling ever, in my opinion. <_< I can't stand her either, Emily!

Today is your lucky day. The torrent you seek

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, Mary!!! Earlier I was just about to ask you if there was any way you could link me to that torrent. I'd really love to have the episodes on my computer, since I might want to do something with them. I did download a torrent awhile ago, but I wasn't thrilled with the quality and didn't have time to make a video then...and they were taking up space (don't have my external harddrive set up yet...), so I deleted them and hoped to find a better one later on. I'm so happy it has the movie on it! I just saw the movie recently and LOVED it! I can't believe I missed out on it all those years, LOL. My life is now complete. ;)

Thank you so much again! I'll download 'em when I get the chance.

Okay, random question I'm dying to know: How many of you, when you were younger, always thought Arnold wore a kilt? How many of you thought it up until you started watching the shows again? How many still think that? XDDD

The reason I had to bring that up is because I was amazed at how many comments there are on YT saying "WHAT? ITS NOT A KILT?! EVERYTHING I KNEW WAS A LIE?!" and I just LOL. So, I'm curious...

See y'all
:bff:
B) Pigquet

#10 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

• Senior Members
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

Yesh, I did think that the instant I first saw him on TV, then I realized otherwise. ROFL

#11 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

• Senior Members
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Hahahaha. I thought it was a kilt when I first saw the show, but I think there are at least a few moments when you see him with the red shirt before he puts the sweater on, so I quickly realized that it was not a kilt. So no I did not still think that xP

I wonder if they'll ever make box sets of Hey Arnold. I know some Nickelodeon shows (like Jimmy Neutron and Danny Phantom) only recently got true box sets, at least on Amazon. but maybe if they do that, they'll do what they did with Danny Phantom and have them available for purchase, but only made when an order is placed.

I'd love to have box sets. Because even though I love having the series on my comp, I would prefer watching them on a proper TV. Computer eps are for movie making, and for shows you haven't bought on DVD yet.

#12 RocksmySocks

RocksmySocks

DJ was here.

• Senior Members
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Oh man, I used to watch Hey Arnold all the time!

I must join this club.

Hey Arnold was the one Nicktoon I would actually watch for a while there. I was in middle school when it started, and most of my favorite nick shows from my youth were in decline, like Rugrats or Doug. Aaah Real Monsters was still on, I think...haha, and Angry Beavers. But mostly I'd watch Hey Arnold. I watched that straight through high school. It was more than just a cartoon - it really had depth, and I loved that. I think I was old enough from the start of it to appreciate how much really went on in that show. That's why I stuck with it. That, and I really wanted Arnold's room. Who doesn't?

Arnold's Grandma was always my favorite character. She never ceased to entertain me. I haven't seen any episodes in ages, though. I should download that torrent, hah.

#13 Pigquet3

Pigquet3

Thug Lyfe Guard

• Senior Members
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:08 AM

Oh man, I used to watch Hey Arnold all the time!

I must join this club.

Hey Arnold was the one Nicktoon I would actually watch for a while there. I was in middle school when it started, and most of my favorite nick shows from my youth were in decline, like Rugrats or Doug. Aaah Real Monsters was still on, I think...haha, and Angry Beavers. But mostly I'd watch Hey Arnold. I watched that straight through high school. It was more than just a cartoon - it really had depth, and I loved that. I think I was old enough from the start of it to appreciate how much really went on in that show. That's why I stuck with it. That, and I really wanted Arnold's room. Who doesn't?

Arnold's Grandma was always my favorite character. She never ceased to entertain me. I haven't seen any episodes in ages, though. I should download that torrent, hah.

Cool! B)

Haha, you're lucky you were old enough to really understand and appreciate the show from start. And, LOL, that was going to be my next random question: Who always wished (or still wishes) they had Arnold's room? XD I sure did! Its only gotta be the hottest room in America!

Yes, I love Grandma...her relationship with Grandpa is so cute. When I grow old, I wanna have a relationship just like that with my husband. Also, love that she's almost always singing and play acting in everything she does. She also mixes up all the holidays. :lol: Never a dull moment in that house.

B) Pigquet

#14 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

• Senior Members
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

If I had Arnold's room, my life would be one step closer to being complete.

#15 Sheenfan1

Sheenfan1

Sheen fanatic a 100 Percent.

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

If I had Arnold's room, my life would be one step closer to being complete.

I love this show, Hey Arnold is awesome! Helga was always my favorite character and I loved Helga/Arnold together, all the hints and stuff was sooo cute :wub:

#16 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

• Senior Members
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:32 AM

I think it's cute, too! But this person on DA expressed himself otherwise(I got this quote from Urvy, who I'm AIM-chatting with and who got this from DA, where he's apparently browsing online at this moment):

"Arnold/Helga (Hey Arnold!) - The granddaddy of them all. Looking back, it probably wouldn't have been so bad if a) the pairing weren't shoved down viewers' throats at every opportunity and b ) Helga were more likable. As in a number of pairings I'm gonna name, the principals are just kids. Do they even like the opposite sex in that way yet? Also, does anyone really believe that Helga's going to change in any way that will make her attractive to Arnold? Helga's delusional rants were annoying (and, let's be honest, way too flowery for a nine-year-old), her swooning noise suggested a need for psychiatric evaluation (which she never satisfactorily received; any psychiatrist who would consider this a healthy way to express oneself is, themselves, 'round the twist) and the moment in "It Girl" when she responds to Arnold with "You got that right: whatever I say." was the moment that I, officially, lost sympathy for the character. And speaking of unsympathetic blonde twats..."

Good GRIEF, dude!!

#17 Pigquet3

Pigquet3

Thug Lyfe Guard

• Senior Members
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

I think the person who wrote it (and I could be mistaken) was forgetting that these characters are not supposed to be entirely realistic. The whole cliched line of "This is way too much drama for nine-year-olds" is not as clever as it sounds. Because, on every cartoon the young characters act way older than their age. Do the JN or FOP characters really act just 10? Do the Arthur characters act just 8? Then why do we act like its so weird that the "nine-year-olds" of Hey Arnold act far more mature than real life kids of that age? So, I don't think that argument is really valid anymore.

On the note of Helga not being likeable...it was probably written by someone who just doesn't like love/hate relationships or misanthropic characters. Now, I don't LOVE LOVE LOVE Arnold/Helga shipping, but I do ship them to an extend and think its really cute. My real love of the show comes from just Helga alone. I love misanthropic, tough, pushy, angry-on-the-outside characters, because I just think they have way more depth than the average, nice ones. I don't have anything against nice characters, but their usually not nearly as interesting or funny as the opposite. Her obsession over him and over-dramatic poetry and soliloquies were a running joke and fun throughout the show...that was the idea. Of course there were points to which it was unrealistic and unhealthy, but there's still something about it you would miss if it wasn't part of the series, IMO. That's what made her unique. Its not supposed to be normal, XD.

And, finally, about it being shoved down our throats...its so weird someone could say that, because that's what I think is done with a LOT of other cartoon ships which is why its hard to get into them. I personally think they really rushed J/C and S/L and shoved them down our throats during season 3 of JN. It could have been spread out much more but they didn't have much time. But, with HA, I think they spread the relationship out well over 5 seasons...and I think its not that common there were sweet moments between the two of them...mostly just about her admiring/keeping it secret/schemeing to get to him...not that many two-sided affection moments that I noticed, at least not until the show came to an end. So yeah...I agree a lot of shows do that, but I don't see it with this one. A whole lot of episodes revolve around other characters that Helga's not even in, so the show was certainly well-rounded.

But, oh well...there's plenty of people that would feel it was overdone, but I think its all in the spirit and fun of the show. Just my two cents.

/done unneccessary, long rant

B) Pigquet

#18 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

• Senior Members
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

All in all, I just think that person was just flat-out rude!! <_<

#19 Pigquet3

Pigquet3

Thug Lyfe Guard

• Senior Members
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

All in all, I just think that person was just flat-out rude!! <_<

Well, I don't think he was too rude for just stating his opinions on the show/characters/couples. He didn't say anything directly offensive to fans or the show, so yeah...I disagree with him, but don't think it was out of line to say it in general.

And, to lighten the mode,

Another Random Discussion Topic: Curly. Thaddeus Curly Gammelthorpe. He's one of my favorite of the young, male characters in the show. He may be one twisted little freak, but is there more to him than just that? Future serial killer, future street rat, or future president of the CIA? Do you like him or not? He just always cracks me up is all I know! The first episode I saw when I started rewatching the show recently was "Curly Snaps", so obviously there was something about that one that made me want to keep watching. :lol: Discuss.

B) Pigquet

#20 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

• Senior Members
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

I just saw Deconstructing Arnold on YT, and I thought it was totally cute how Curly crushes so much on Rhonda. :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users