• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:50 PM

In the past, I used to do a Goodreads challenge topic with reviews and things. But yesterday, I thought I would start a more general topic for all of us who read! So, you can talk about your Goodreads challenge and your favorite book you've read for it or any challenge at all. If you don't do challenges, just tell me about a good book you read recently. As long as it's bookish-related, it applies! 

Also, please, no unkind comments! Thank you.

*If a book is triggering, please note so. You don't have to mention everything- just do so if you think it's appropriate. I've tried to do mine. I might have missed some.

As for me, I'm still doing my Goodreads challenge. I'm currently at 157 books. I actually splurged this year and got a book planner that I'm trying very hard to keep up with, and there's an A-Z challenge in there and a cover challenge, and a general reading challenge too. It's just so fun to try to do things to fill them. 

Favorites this year include: 

Middle-Grade Fiction: The City of the Plague God by Sarwat Chadda, Love Sugar Magic Trilogy by Ana Meriano, Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin, The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill, Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly, The Comeback by E.L.Shen, Handbook For Dragon Slayers by Merrie Haskell, Fearless by Mandy Gonzalez, Aru Shah and the City of Gold by Roshani Chokshi, Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, Inside Out & Back Again by Thannla Lai, Amari and the Night Brothers by B. B. Alston, Soul Lanterns by Shaw Kuzki (TW: Graphic Descriptions of Death)

MG non-fiction: Child of the Dream by Sharon Robinson

YA fiction: Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo, Flamefall by Rosaria Munda, Oculta by Maya Motayne, Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley (TW: Gun Violence, Drugs, Captivity), The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevado, East by Edith Pattou, The Tiger at Midnight & The Archer at Dawn by Swati Teerdhala, Where the Rhythm Takes You by Sarah Dass, We Are Not Free by Traci Chee (TW: Human Captivity, Violence, Abuse ), The Light in Hidden Places by Sharon Cameron (TW: Human Captivity, Fear, Violence, Abuse)

YA Nonfiction: Everything You Wanted To Know About Indians But Were Afraid to Ask by Anton Truer

Non-Fiction: Becoming by Michelle Obama, American Indian Stories by Zitkála-Šá, Rosa Parks: My Story by Rosa Parks, The Autobiography of Martin Luther King Jr., by Martin Luther King Jr., Conversations With RBG: Ruth Badger Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty and Law by Jeffery Rosen, Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History by Keith O'Brien

Fiction: The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner, Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho, The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune, Kindred by Octavia Butler (TW: Human Captivity, Violence, Violent Physical Abuse, Sexual Abuse implied) A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, Ariadne by Jennifer Saint

Graphic Novels: The Underground Abductor by Nathan Hale (Nonfiction about Harriet Tubman), Quince by Sebastian Kadlecik, American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang, Imginarium by Amanda Kastner, Seance Tea Party by Reimena Yee 

This is just a tentative list and I'm sure I will add to it. I just really miss discussing books with you guys. Tell me your latest faves, tell me what genres you've been reading, new books, old books, graphic novels, books you didn't like! ALL THE THINGS!

#2 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

Ice Bear bought these legally

• Senior Members
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:05 PM

I'm constantly impressed with how much you manage to read in a year, Katie. Even when I'm reading almost every day and plowing through books at top speed, I don't generally get to more than about 60 books a year. Nice job!

I failed my Goodreads Challenge last year. By...a lot. All the stress from the pandemic, the rising death toll, all the horrible other disasters that seemed to be around every corner...it made it really hard to focus on reading. I really scaled back my challenge this year. I think I set it to 24 books? So like 2 per month. I'm still a teensy bit behind but I'm slowly getting back into the groove.

Some of those books you mentioned I read last year or in other years past, and a few I have on my tbr list or even hanging out on my bookshelf. I've been doing Book of the Month since last 2019 and I don't skip very many months, even though I'm super behind in my reading, so I've accumulated a lot.

Heres to hoping I get back in the swing of things and can read a good amount this year.

#3 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 06:13 PM

It's easier with my job to be honest. My afternoons and evenings are pretty free, as well as the summer. It gives me a lot more time than a lot of other people have. I take that for granted more than I should. 

Oh, yeah, that makes total sense. Last year was.. a lot.

But don't push yourself too hard. Stress and anxiety are not things to be taken lightly and you have to make sure you are in a good mental space. That's important too. 

2 books a month is still great. 1 book a year is great! As long as you enjoy it and it's not a chore, it's a good thing. :) I just finished two extras one about the Titanic which was heartbreaking (I mean, how could it not be), and one was the last in a series which was also heartbreaking. *sad sigh*

#4 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM

I am finding I enjoy audiobooks, and it's so exciting! As well as graphic novels.

#5 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 05:37 AM

I got to 200 books!!!!!! (this was my secret goal because two years ago I came very close, but didn't get there.)

#6 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 01:37 AM

Why didn't I figure out that I would adore YA Contemporary Romance? It shouldn't have come as a surprise, but it did.

SO MANY WARM FUZZIES. 

Also, I read 15 audiobooks this month! And I had like 9 five star reads! It was a good month. 

#7 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

Benevolent, All-Seeing Eye

• Admin
  • 24,495 posts
  • Nickname:𓊨 𓏏 𓆇

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:13 PM

YA fiction: Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo

Still obsessed with the Crows...might reread them again this fall. 

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#8 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 24,495 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:15 PM

Does anyone know any good ⚢ LGBTQ books? 

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#9 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

Simply brilliant... <3

• Senior Members
  • 20,145 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:38 PM

I know I don't; no offense, though... ^^;

#10 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 11:10 PM

Let's see here! Some recent ones I've read include: 

Clap When You Land, by Elizabeth Acevedo (Written in verse and GORGEOUS. A five star read!)

Rise to the Sun, by Leah Johnson was pretty good. There were some parts that weren't super great for me, but overall it was a good read (YA Contemp. *Contains references to Mass Shootings/ Gun Violence)

You Should See Me in A Crown, by Leah Johnson (YA Contemp)

Ace of Spades, by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé, (YA Thriller,  also has a M/M romance. *contains extreme racism and violence and is super intense!) *This was almost a five stars! 

The Henna Wars by Adiba Jaigirdar (YA Contemp.)

Not Your Sidekick, by C.B. Lee (MG SciFi) <-- the romance in this one was super cute! 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Fiction)

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour (YA Contemp.)

#11 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:23 PM

Still obsessed with the Crows...might reread them again this fall. 

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

You should totally do that. I struggled with the first book a bit, it moved slower than I remembered. But that second book is PEAK for me. THIS QUOTE STILL SENDS SHIVERS DOWN MY SPINE.

"I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting.”

#12 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:17 PM

What form of books do you read the most? Print/Ebook/Audio? For me, I read a lot of Ebooks. *Mostly because of the number of books available through Libby. 

#13 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 24,495 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:16 AM

"I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting.”

INEJ & KAZ IS LIFE

What form of books do you read the most?

Print books and audiobooks.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#14 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

Ice Bear bought these legally

• Senior Members
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 03:58 PM

What form of books do you read the most? Print/Ebook/Audio? For me, I read a lot of Ebooks. *Mostly because of the number of books available through Libby.

Mostly print and audio, but I do use Libby and Hoopla to get a lot of comics from the library.

#15 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

Simply brilliant... <3

• Senior Members
  • 20,145 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:31 PM

Libby?? LOL :lol:

#16 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:23 PM

It's an app that allows you to borrow books from your local or state library.

#17 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

Simply brilliant... <3

• Senior Members
  • 20,145 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:18 PM

Oh, gotcha. lol For a moment there, I thought you were referencing the character in a weird way... :P :lol:

#18 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:37 AM

Has anyone else tried Storygraph? I kind of like it, but I always forget to use it! 

https://app.thestorygraph.com/

#19 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 02:25 AM

Oh my gosh. I just realized that I am only four books away from 

Spoiler

#20 JimmyxxCindy4EVER

JimmyxxCindy4EVER

Simply brilliant... <3