Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

No, keep at it!  You're really good at it! ^_^

#62 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

Ice Bear bought these legally

• Senior Members
  • 10,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

Keep reviewing!!! I love reading other people's opinions about books they read.

#63 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

Benevolent, All-Seeing Eye

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts
  • Nickname:Mara

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

Summary: Nya is an orphan struggling for survival in a city crippled by war. She is also a Taker—with her touch, she can heal injuries, pulling pain from another person into her own body. But unlike her sister, Tali, and the other Takers who become Healers' League apprentices, Nya's skill is flawed: She can't push that pain into pynvium, the enchanted metal used to store it. All she can do is shift it into another person, a dangerous skill that she must keep hidden from forces occupying her city. If discovered, she'd be used as a human weapon against her own people.

Rumors of another war make Nya's life harder, forcing her to take desperate risks just to find work and food. She pushes her luck too far and exposes her secret to a pain merchant eager to use her shifting ability for his own sinister purposes. At first Nya refuses, but when Tali and other League Healers mysteriously disappear, she's faced with some difficult choices. As her father used to say, principles are a bargain at any price; but how many will Nya have to sell to get Tali back alive?

I loved this one! I loved it. The ideas were interesting and new. I felt like I hadn't read it before, the idea that pain has to go somewhere when it's healed. The unseen darkness of that. 

Also, it's leading up to a war and left on an exciting note. I will be reading the others in the series.

This one looks really cool! I'll have to see if my library has it.

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#64 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts
  • Nickname:Mara

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

Keep reviewing!!! I love reading other people's opinions about books they read.

Ditto

~*Mara*~ = ^.^ =

#65 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

Well, that was annoying. 

I just started to post this and I accidentally closed out. NOW I HAVE TO START OVER. *ahem* 

The Watchmakers Daughter by C.J. Archer ★★★

Summary: India Steele is desperate. Her father is dead, her fiancé took her inheritance, and no one will employ her, despite years working for her watchmaker father. Indeed, the other London watchmakers seem frightened of her. Alone, poor, and at the end of her tether, India takes employment with the only person who'll accept her - an enigmatic and mysterious man from America. A man who possesses a strange watch that rejuvenates him when he's ill.

Matthew Glass must find a particular watchmaker, but he won't tell India why any old one won't do. Nor will he tell her what he does back home, and how he can afford to stay in a house in one of London's best streets. So when she reads about an American outlaw known as the Dark Rider arriving in England, she suspects Mr. Glass is the fugitive. When danger comes to their door, she's certain of it. But if she notifies the authorities, she'll find herself unemployed and homeless again - and she will have betrayed the man who saved her life. 

This was a fun book. I liked the mystery and adventure and fun. I liked the heroine and the romance.  Magic, adventure and mystery. There were parts that annoyed me at times, but I think they corrected themselves well enough.

The Medium, C.J. Archer ★★

Summary: Seventeen year-old spirit medium Emily Chambers has a problem. Actually, she has several. As if seeing dead people isn't a big enough social disadvantage, she also has to contend with an escaped demon and a handsome ghost with a secret past. And then there's the question of her parentage. Being born an entire year after her father's death (yes, a year) and without the pale skin of other respectable English ladies, Emily is as much a mystery as the dead boy assigned to her.

Jacob Beaufort's spirit has been unable to crossover since his death. It might have something to do with the fact he was murdered. Or it might not. All he knows is, he has been assigned by the Otherworld's administrators to a girl named Emily. A girl who can see and touch him. A girl who released a shape-shifting demon into the mortal realm. Together they must send the demon back before it wreaks havoc on London. It should be a simple assignment, but they soon learn there's nothing simple when a live girl and a dead boy fall in love.

I admit to liking this one less then her Glass and Steele series. But the mythology was a lot of fun and her sense of humor shines brightly. I still enjoyed it, although I don't think I will be reading the others in the series.

Lhind the Thief, by Sherwood Smith ★★★

SummaryLhind has been on the run all her life.  Stealing what she needs, using magic for disguise, she never stays anywhere long. Lhind even has secrets from herself, for she has few memories, and those are troubling. 

But life is good until she gets caught by Rajanas the warrior-prince, Thianra the bard, and Hlanan the scribe. And that’s when adventure begins, because someone very powerful wants them all dead.

As they evade pursuit and work to uncover their enemies, Lhind struggles with the invisible bonds of friendship and trust, while Hlanan begins uncovering her secrets one by one.

Thieves, magic, a girl in disguise, romance, adventure. This book was a pretty fun read. Although, I admit that I really don't remember much else about it. It was enjoyable, but it really didn't make a lasting impression. Perhaps, it's because it was so long ago now, but yeah.

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, by Leslye Walton ★★★★

Summary: Magical realism, lyrical prose, and the pain and passion of human love haunt this hypnotic generational saga. Foolish love appears to be the Roux family birthright, an ominous forecast for its most recent progeny, Ava Lavender. Ava — in all other ways a normal girl — is born with the wings of a bird. In a quest to understand her peculiar disposition and a growing desire to fit in with her peers, sixteen-year old Ava ventures into the wider world, ill-prepared for what she might discover and naive to the twisted motives of others. Others like the pious Nathaniel Sorrows, who mistakes Ava for an angel and whose obsession with her grows until the night of the summer solstice celebration. That night, the skies open up, rain and feathers fill the air, and Ava’s quest and her family’s saga build to a devastating crescendo. First-time author Leslye Walton has constructed a layered and unforgettable mythology of what it means to be born with hearts that are tragically, exquisitely human.

This one in contrast, still sticks with me. Beautiful prose, a deep story with sadness, beauty and terrible. There was only one thing that knocked this down from a book I LOVED. 

Spoiler

The ending was mysterious, beautiful and it left me thinking.

Shatter Me, by Tahereh Mafi ★★★

Summary: "You can't touch me," I whisper.

I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.

He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.

But things happen when people touch me.

Strange things.

Bad things.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.

But Juliette has plans of her own.

After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

This had been in my recommendations for FOREVER. So I finally gave in. The style took a while to get used to because there were things like this. 

But it was still a good read. Filled with magic and adventure. I loved the idea that her touch was fatal. I loved her in general. She was so fun in this book. And the romance while cheesy was enjoyable.

Unravel me, by Tahereh Mafi  ★★★

Summary: Juliette is still haunted by her deadly touch. But now that she has teamed up with other rebels with powers of their own, she'll be able to fight back against The Reestablishment to save her broken world. With the help of these new allies, she'll also finally learn the secret behind Adam's—and Warner's—immunity to her killer skin. 

The bad guy was enjoyably bad, the romance deteriorated a little for me. I don't understand why the 'bad' boy has to secretly not be bad. Can't there just be good guys that the heroine likes? I know I'm kind of a hypocrite saying this because I tend to fall for that 'the boy is bad and she's his sunshine' thing, but this one kind of annoyed me for some reason. Although, the other guy was clingy and possessive in this one and I'm glad that she got rid of him. 

Ignite Me, by Tahereh Mafi ★★★

Summary: With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn't know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won't keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that's not all he wants with her.

Same as above. The villain was bad and I wanted him to meet his end and was very glad when he did. 

Dragonfly, by Julia Golding ★★★

Summary: Princess Taoshira of the Blue Crescent Islands is appalled when she is ordered to marry Prince Ramil of Gerfal in order to unite their lands. And he’s not too pleased, either. They hate each other on sight. So, when Tashi and Ramil are kidnapped, they fear there’s no escape—from their kidnappers or from each other. Can they put aside their differences long enough to survive ambush, unarmed combat, brainwashing, and imprisonment? And will the people they meet on their adventure help them or betray them to the enemy?

I'm such a sucker for this trope. I truly am. Romantic and fun. With adventure and a good villain. 

Fantasy of Frost, by Kelly St. Clare  ★★★

Summary: I know many things. What I am capable of, what I will change, what I will become. But there is one thing I will never know… The veil I’ve worn from birth carries with it a terrible loneliness; a suppression I cannot imagine ever being free of.

Some things never change…

My mother will always hate me. Her court will always shun me.

.....Until they do.

When the peace delegation arrives from the savage world of Glacium, my life is shoved wildly out of control by the handsome Prince Kedrick who, for unfathomable reasons, shows me kindness.

And the harshest lessons are learned.

Sometimes it takes the world bringing you to your knees to find that spark you thought forever lost.

Sometimes it takes death to show you how to live.

A fun read, a good villain, an enjoyable romance. I really enjoyed how the typical traits associated with ice and fire were switched. (The people of the fire people are the ones who are ridged and closed off and the people of the ice are the more open). 

Fantasy of Flight, by Kelly St. Clare ★★★

Summary: My veil is gone and I need it back.

Stuck in the lethal Outer Rings of Glacium, I must fight to survive. And not just that; my true identity must remain the gravest of secrets. No one can find out I’m the Tatuma of Osolis - the princess of their enemy world - especially now I know why I’ve been veiled my entire life.

I have to believe I can do it, because only then can I continue the search for Prince Kedrick’s murderer and navigate my way back to King Jovan’s castle. Has my mother refused Jovan’s peace offers and declared war? Do my brothers and Aquin know I’m alive? Who are my enemies and who are my friends? 

Nothing is certain. Though…if I think about it, nothing has been certain in a long time.

An enjoyable romance that I enjoyed. I loved the banter the most. Although, King Jovan was annoying at time, I found myself wanting them together. I felt like they were pretty evenly matched.

I loved the fighting ring. OH MAN. That was fun. 

Fantasy of Fire, by Kelly St. Clare ★★★

Summary: An army is half way to Glacium.

And not just any army - it belongs to my mother.

Time is running out as I rush to prevent a war which will kill thousands; The Solati people, my brothers, and the many Bruma I’ve come to care for.

Yet it appears preventing this interworld war is just one snowball in an avalanche of problems as the situation in Glacium becomes volatile and destructive. My various identities hover on the edge of discovery forcing me to consider drastic action, and questions I’ve had since the abrubt end of the peace delegation are answered. The two halves of me tug in opposite directions. The Tatuma of Osolis knows what she should do, and the Olina of Nowhere Special finally knows what feels right.

What it really comes down to is, am I brave enough to follow my heart?

Another good book in the series. I enjoyed the building tension of the war and the continued romance between Jovan and Lina. 

Fantasy of Freedom, by Kelly St. Clare ★★★

Summary: A part of me knew when I was taken from Osolis, That when I returned—if I lived long enough to return—I would carry death and destruction to her doorstep. That is the irony of peace.

It only comes after war.

I truly enjoyed this one. I loved the destruction of the main villain and the final battles. I enjoyed how she worked things together. Overall, a pretty enjoyable series. 

These Vicious Masks, by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas  ★★★

Summary: England, 1882. Evelyn is bored with society and its expectations. So when her beloved sister, Rose, mysteriously vanishes. she ignores her parents and travels to London to find her, accompanied by the dashing Mr. Kent. But they're not the only ones looking for Rose. The reclusive young gentleman Sebastian Braddock is also searching for her, claiming that both sisters have special healing powers. Evelyn is convinced that Sebastian must be mad, until she discovers that his strange tales of extraordinary people are true—and that her sister is in graver danger than she feared.

Another one that I only kind of remember. I liked it well enough. I loved the powers, and the mystery. I saw the 'twist' coming from a mile away and the romance annoyed me at times. 

Overall, I found myself liking the Glass and Steele series more. But I will read the second book in the series.

A Book of Spirits and Thieves, by Morgan Rhodes ★★★

Summary: The lives of Toronto teens Crystal and Becca Hatcher revolve around helping their mother out at the family's used bookstore, The Speckled Muse. It's a relatively uneventful after-school job, until an package arrives addressed to her mother, Julia. Thinking it's nothing more than run-of-the-mill inventory, Becca opens it and removes the book inside, unwittingly triggering an ancient magic and intertwining their fates with the powers that flow from the mysterious leather-bound book. Two parallel worlds collide and Becca is left in a catatonic state after her spirit is snatched from modern-day Toronto back to the ancient world of Mytica. Crys is guilt-ridden, having witnessed the entire event, and vows to do whatever is necessary to save her… but from what? Nothing has prepared them for what’s in store.

Written in alternating perspectives that shift between modern-day Toronto and the ancient kingdoms of Mytica, Rhodes delivers a rich and suspensful series opener that will leave readers breathless. 

Enjoyable and fun. I still like the Falling Kingdoms series better. I liked the romance and the characters well enough, but the world just feels so much more real in the Falling Kingdoms series. There's just so much more life there. This one felt like a side note for some reason.

I did buy the second book in the series, I have yet to get to it though.

Crooked Kingdom, by Leigh Bardugo ★★★★★

Summary: Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and badly weakened, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets—a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of the Grisha world.

I loved this book SO MUCH. So much.

Filled with romance, heartbreak, and adventure. It was just so rich and vibrant and wonderful. This is definitely a series that will stick out in my mind as an all time favorite. All of the characters are so wonderful and the plot is so fun and enjoyable. 

I will definitely be buying physical copies of these books to enjoy in the future. A book that ended exactly how it was supposed to - with a note of hope and a bit of a question mark too.

A Shadow Bright and Burning, by Jessica Cluess ★★★

Summary: I am Henrietta Howel.

The first female sorcerer in hundreds of years.
The prophesied one.
Or am I?

Henrietta Howel can burst into flames. Forced to reveal her power to save a friend, she's shocked when instead of being executed, she's invited to train as one of Her Majesty's royal sorcerers.

Thrust into the glamour of Victorian London, Henrietta is declared the chosen one, the girl who will defeat the Ancients, bloodthirsty demons terrorizing humanity. She also meets her fellow sorcerer trainees, handsome young men eager to test her power and her heart. One will challenge her. One will fight for her. One will betray her.

But Henrietta Howel is not the chosen one.  As she plays a dangerous game of deception, she discovers that the sorcerers have their own secrets to protect. With battle looming, what does it mean to not be the one? And how much will she risk to save the city—and the one she loves?

I liked this book. Fun and enjoyable, but I think I might need to read it again before the second one comes out, because I admit to not remembering much. I'm sure I could skim and remember. (Next year I need to do these reviews right after I finish the book-- jeepers Katie).

I liked the Chosen One trope in this one, I liked the magic and I liked the world. 

Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott ★★★★

Summary: Following the lives of four sisters on a journey out of adolescence, Louisa May Alcott's Little Women explores the difficulties associated with gender roles in a Post-Civil War America.

Finally, I read this one. So fun! I really enjoyed it. It was a bit preachy at times, but I found myself loving it anyway. 

A lovely read filled with lovely characters.

The Mapmaker's Apprentice, by C.J. Archer ★★★

Summary: When an apprentice from the Mapmakers' Guild goes missing, Matt and India are employed to find him. Going undercover as a married couple, they discover that not everyone at the guild is what they seem, and the lad's unearthly maps caused jealousy, suspicion and fear.

With one of the apprentice's magic maps in their possession, India and Matt must use their wits and India's fledgling, untried magic to find him. But the more they investigate, the more sinister plots they uncover, including a link between the Mapmakers' and Watchmakers' Guilds, and an ancient magical treasure buried beneath the streets of London. 

As the net of suspicion widens and enemies draw closer, it's not just the apprentice's life that's in danger, but Matt's too. Someone will go to great lengths to prevent him discovering the name of the man who can fix the watch keeping him alive. Great lengths indeed.

This book was so fun. So many tropes I love. Fake marriage, magic, mystery, adventure, romance.

The romance in this was so fun. The characters were even more enjoyable than in the first book. It cemented a permanent place in my 'I need to keep reading this series' list. :)

I am very much looking forward to the third book due out in May.

Fledgling, by Nicole Conway ★★★

Summary: Can one boy stand between two kingdoms at war? Jaevid Broadfeather has grown up as a wartime refugee, hiding from the world because of his mixed racial heritage. He feels his future is hopeless, until a chance encounter with a wild dragon lands him in Blybrig Academy—a place usually forbidden to anyone but the rich and royal. But Jaevid’s case is special; no dragon has voluntarily chosen a rider in decades, so the proud riders of Blybrig must begrudgingly let him join their brotherhood despite his bloodline. Lieutenant Sile Derrick, a sternly tempered man with a mysterious past, becomes his instructor and immediately takes a peculiar interest in Jaevid’s future. While struggling through the rigorous physical demands of training, things begin to go awry. Jaevid witnesses the king’s private guards kidnapping Sile in the dead of night. When none of the elder riders are willing to help him, Jaevid begins a dangerous adventure to save his instructor. Everything Jaevid learned at the academy will now be put to the ultimate test.

A fun and enjoyable read. Fun, filled with adventure and bad guys! I have the second book in my kindle- but I haven't gotten to it yet. I need to read it though cause I liked this one pretty well!

The Ugly Princess: The Legend of Winnowood, by Henderson Smith ★★★

Summary: What would you give up to be beautiful? I don’t mean attractive, or pretty or any other term you could conjure up to describe that thing most women seek to be or most men seek to be with.

I mean staggeringly beautiful, men falling at your feet with hopeless adoration as they gaze upon you dumbfounded. That beautiful. I could become that beautiful if I chose, but only with a steep price. Would you pay the price? Does that call to your heart?

It doesn’t call to mine. Yes, when I look at the girl in the mirror, I see a young woman of average height and slight build. I see her lovely emerald green eyes and I see her coarse, orange hair poking out in all directions like some unnatural haystack. 

I see the forty-seven warts that line her face, which accompany one large lump and two small boils. You’d probably think that I would be more than eager to trade for the great gift of beauty because I know some, if not all of you, would call me hideous. But I don’t think of myself as ugly. 

I think of myself as powerful, strong and fierce – for I have magical powers – powers that amaze and terrify me at times. And today is the most important day of my life, because today my mother will say the words over me and seal my fate. For I, Olive, am the last of the Winnowwood and this is my story.

A fun and enjoyable story about the power of beauty. What it means to be beautiful. Filled with romance, enjoyable villains and a fun story. Even though I saw most of this coming, I still liked a lot. 

Robin Lady of Legend, by R.M. ArceJaeger ★★★★

Summary: Robin of Locksley never set out to be a hero, but when circumstances force her to flee her home, she must hide her identity and seek refuge as an outlaw in Sherwood Forest. Disguised as a man for protection, Robin isolates herself from the world around her . . . until the day she steps in to save a young boy's life. Thus begins Robin's rise to leadership in Sherwood Forest and of the other outcasts therein, but while she strives to provide a life of honor and purpose for her people, her efforts enrage the Sheriff of Nottingham, who plots a deadly fate for her and her band. With a secret to hide, a band to sustain, and the Sheriff hot on her trail, Robin will need all her courage and ingenuity if she is to survive.

Alive with adventure and danger, sword fights and heists, hatred and love, Robin: Lady of Legend is the never-before-told tale of the girl who became Robin Hood.

Robin Hood is a girl and it's fantastic. I loved this book. Filled with adventure and romance.  A bit of the 'liar revealed' but I really enjoyed it anyway. I liked the romance, I liked the villain. I liked the backstory. A very fun and easy read, a bit cheesy in places but fun.

The Paper Magician, by Charlie N. Holmberg ★★★

Summary: Ceony Twill arrives at the cottage of Magician Emery Thane with a broken heart. Having graduated at the top of her class from the Tagis Praff School for the Magically Inclined, Ceony is assigned an apprenticeship in paper magic despite her dreams of bespelling metal. And once she’s bonded to paper, that will be her only magic…forever.

Yet the spells Ceony learns under the strange yet kind Thane turn out to be more marvelous than she could have ever imagined—animating paper creatures, bringing stories to life via ghostly images, even reading fortunes. But as she discovers these wonders, Ceony also learns of the extraordinary dangers of forbidden magic.

An Excisioner—a practitioner of dark, flesh magic—invades the cottage and rips Thane’s heart from his chest. To save her teacher’s life, Ceony must face the evil magician and embark on an unbelievable adventure that will take her into the chambers of Thane’s still-beating heart—and reveal the very soul of the man.

I loved the magic in this. The paper. The mystery. The detail. 

Wonderful villains and an enjoyably cheesy romance. But the end. The end.

Wow. She literally walks through his heart. It was dark and bloody. I didn't see that coming at all and I really enjoyed it. 

The Glass Magician, by Charlie N. Holmberg ★★★

Summary: Three months after returning Magician Emery Thane’s heart to his body, Ceony Twill is well on her way to becoming a Folder. Unfortunately, not all of Ceony’s thoughts have been focused on paper magic. Though she was promised romance by a fortuity box, Ceony still hasn’t broken the teacher-student barrier with Emery, despite their growing closeness.

When a magician with a penchant for revenge believes that Ceony possesses a secret, he vows to discover it…even if it tears apart the very fabric of their magical world. After a series of attacks target Ceony and catch those she holds most dear in the crossfire, Ceony knows she must find the true limits of her powers…and keep her knowledge from falling into wayward hands.

A good second book. Enjoyable and fun! The villains just keep stepping up and I liked it. I loved the ending and liked the darkness.

The Master Magician, by Charlie N. Holmberg  ★★★

Summary: Throughout her studies, Ceony Twill has harbored a secret, one she’s kept from even her mentor, Emery Thane. She’s discovered how to practice forms of magic other than her own—an ability long thought impossible.

While all seems set for Ceony to complete her apprenticeship and pass her upcoming final magician’s exam, life quickly becomes complicated. To avoid favoritism, Emery sends her to another paper magician for testing, a Folder who despises Emery and cares even less for his apprentice. To make matters worse, a murderous criminal from Ceony’s past escapes imprisonment. Now she must track the power-hungry convict across England before he can take his revenge. With her life and loved ones hanging in the balance, Ceony must face a criminal who wields the one magic that she does not, and it may prove more powerful than all her skills combined.

A fun book, with good bad guys and beautiful magic. 

The only thing I didn't like was Ceony's thought she has to track this psycho. Yes, she's almost a magician. Yes, she has a knowledge of how to bond to other elements. But I was still like, girl - this guy is psycho. At least tell someone what you are planning. It's a good thing.

But of course, that would get rid of the tension. Because Emery doesn't want her too.. and yeah. Still a good book, but I don't think it was one of my favorite series.

Heartless, by Marissa Meyer ★★★

Summary: Long before she was the terror of Wonderland, she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love. Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend. But according to her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for the young woman who could be the next queen.

Then Cath meets Jest, the handsome and mysterious court joker. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the king and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into an intense, secret courtship. Cath is determined to define her own destiny and fall in love on her terms. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

I loved the way she described baking. I loved it. It was so rich and vibrant. Cath is a fun and endearing protagonist, although the romance is a little instalove. the Joker is fun and the atmosphere is very Wonderland.

Spoiler

I was a bit disappointed by this book. The Lunar Chronicles was so beautiful and rich. This just wasn't quite at that point. It was good- but not GOOD. I think that part of it was that you KNOW that Cath is going to become evil. It would've been more interesting if she'd not given that away. Keep everything in suspense, I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Scythe, by Neal Shusterman ★★★

Summary: A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery: humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now Scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.

Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.

This was a fun book. I really liked the story, the idea that humanity has conquered death and now chosen people must give it out. The villains were utterly enjoyable and bad. 

The romance was a tad shaky. I liked that they only had each other to rely on. But it would've been nice to have that expounded a little more. Especially because it kind of becomes important to the plot that they care for each other. But the book doesn't show them interacting much, it just tells you.

Blackheath, by Gabrielle Lepore ★★★

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Maggie Ellmes is dogged by a case of chronic bad luck. She figures that’s just her lot in life—that is, until the psychic at Blackheath’s annual carnival reveals that Maggie’s problems are caused by more than just ordinary misfortune; she’s actually been cursed.  Desperate to shake the hex, Maggie has no choice but to seek out the help of Joel Tomlins, a rebellious classmate who’s descended from Blackheath’s most powerful line of witches. After breaking all of his coven’s conventions to help her, Joel discovers that the curse isn’t as bad as Maggie fears. In fact, it’s much, much worse.

A fun little tale with magic and romance. Bad guys are comically bad. The romance is fun and cheesy. Just a little nugget of a book. 

Of Giants and Ice, by Shelby Bach ★★★

Summary: Rory Landon has spent her whole life being known as the daughter of a famous movie star mom and director dad. So when she begins a new after-school program and no one knows who her family is, Rory realizes something is different. After she ends up fighting a fire-breathing dragon on her first day, she realizes the situation is more unusual than she could have imagined. It turns out the only fame that matters at Ever After School is the kind of fame earned from stories Rory thought were fictional. But as Rory soon learns, fairy tales are very real—and she is destined to star in one of her own.

I really like this! It was fun and easy to read. I loved the characters, even the jerk, who does stop being a jerk. I loved the main three. I loved the friendship and the trip up the Beanstalk.

Of Witches and Wind, by Shelby Bach ★★★

Summary: After taking part in a successful real-life fairy tale, Rory Landon is now an Ever After School veteran. She has better friends than she’s ever had, and she’s stronger, more confident, and ready to take on whatever comes next.

Or so she thought. When a nefarious plan from The Snow Queen threatens the entire Ever After School program, it is up to Rory and Chase to save everyone. Between this new adventure and what is happening at home—where a potential stepmom has entered the picture—Rory wonders if she really has what it takes to come to the rescue.

Another fun book. With magic and romance and fun. Retold fairy tales are my weakness and the villain is good. I liked the mirror room, I liked the trolls! 

Of Sorcery and Snow, by Shelby Bach ★★★

Summary: Rory might be ready to star in her own fairy tale, but there’s more danger than happily-ever-after in this third book in the Ever After series, which Kirkus Reviews calls a “fast-paced combination of middle school realism and fairy-tale fantasy.”

Life at Ever After School has become familiar for Rory. She’s been on two quests, she’s a great sword fighter, and she has terrific friends. But familiar is no fairy tale, and Rory is still anxiously awaiting the chance to star in her own.

But as her connection to the Snow Queen continues to grow, Rory realizes her starring role might be well underway. When the Snow Queen sends the Pied Piper to kidnap several children, including the sibling of a fellow EAS-er, the teachers think the rescue mission is too dangerous and won’t send any kids. But Rory, Chase, and Lena are determined to help, and it’s not long before they find themselves in more trouble than they can handle. Then again, it wouldn’t be Ever After School if things worked out according to plan…

I think this was my least favorite of the series. It felt a little forced to me. It felt like these kids are way too talented to be the age they are. It felt like it fit more with a Young Adult book than a kids. Although, it does explain that they train. That made me feel a little better. The villain is still enjoyable, although Rory really starts to suffer from 'Savior syndrome' in this one. More so than the others.

Of Enemies and Endings, by Shelby Bach  ★★★

Summary: How will this tale end?

The whole fairy-tale world is on high alert. The Snow Queen and her minions are targeting Characters, and Ever After School is the only safe refuge left. Rory Landon knows a final confrontation is inevitable, and she worries about the safety of her family and friends—particularly Chase, who has been acting very strange lately.

Will Rory be able to count on Chase when she needs him most? Is she strong enough to put an end to the Snow Queen’s terrible reign once and for all? Only one thing is certain: it’s time for Rory to find out if her tale ends in happily-ever-after.

This one annoyed me in places too. There's an unexplained division between Chase (the romantic lead) and our hero, Rory. He's such a jerk.

But then you find out why he's been a jerk and that annoyed me more then anything else. Like, why? WHY? *rolls eyes*

Spoiler

But I did love what his Tale ended up being. I loved the finale battle between Rory and the Snow Queen. Overall, pretty enjoyable if you like Fairy Tales.

Rebel of the Sands, by Alwyn Hamilton ★★★

Summary: Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mythical beasts still roam the wild and remote areas, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinn still perform their magic. For humans, it’s an unforgiving place, especially if you’re poor, orphaned, or female. Amani Al’Hiza is all three. She’s a gifted gunslinger with perfect aim, but she can’t shoot her way out of Dustwalk, the back-country town where she’s destined to wind up wed or dead.

Then she meets Jin, a rakish foreigner, in a shooting contest, and sees him as the perfect escape route. But though she’s spent years dreaming of leaving Dustwalk, she never imagined she’d gallop away on mythical horse—or that it would take a foreign fugitive to show her the heart of the desert she thought she knew. 

This startlingly original Middle-East-meets-Wild-West fantasy reveals what happens when a dream deferred explodes—in the fires of rebellion, of romantic passion, and the all-consuming inferno of a girl finally embracing her power.

I loved the prose in this. Rich, fast moving and lovely. I liked our heroine, I liked the mythology. 

I loved Jin. He was fantastic.

Although, they did seem to fall in love very fast. I think that's probably the biggest problem that this book had for me. Work up to it. Let us fall in love with their love. Don't force it. It was still yummy, don't get me wrong. 

Reminded me a bit of The Good, The Bad and The Wealthy, but Mara's is better. :)

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs ★★★★

Summary: A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Finally read this book and loved it. I breezed through it. The plot had everything I like. Adventure, battles, powers and mystery. A beautifully dark and rich tale. 

It was wonderful.

And then I saw the movie and the last half was completely different. I do usually like book movies, but that one. (SHIVERS) 

Okay, I think there's only a few more now, but my fingers hurt. 

#66 SweeneyxxTodd

SweeneyxxTodd

Ice Bear bought these legally

• Senior Members
  • 10,310 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

The Paper Magician is on my Christmas list. And I still need to get around to buying and reading Heartless. I thought I pit it on my Christmas list, but turns out I didn't, so I missed out on the limited signed editions that Barnes and Noble had for Black Friday. I think I'll wait until after Christmas to buy the book, though. I should be getting a new bookcase from my parents, so I'll actually be able to fit it.

#67 Katia11

Katia11

Just me

• Senior Members
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

Total books read in 2016: 133. 

#68 Mara=^.^=

Mara=^.^=

• Admin
  • 25,258 posts